Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support guidelines reducing equalization payout and subsequent changes

My husband and I made a separation agreement a little over two years ago. Our children are now 18 and 19. In it, I (as the non-custodial parent) agreed to pay him a lower amount of child support (than the guidelines) because I did not make him pay me a 'fair' equalization amount. We did this, as we built an addition to his parents home that we lived in. The increased value to the home as a result of the addition was significant. What we agreed on was an equal division of the 'cost' of the addition, not the 'value' of it. As a result, I signed over my 15% share of the value of the home.

Now, he wants more child support. If he wants me to pay the appropriate amounts from the guidelines, can I insisit he now gives me the actual equalization? What I think I am asking is that if he want the separation agreement reopened (for child support), that does mean it is also open for me to say I want the actual equalization I am entitled to? I didn't take the equalization, because of the lower child support payments.

This agreement was not filed with the courts. He did take it to a lawyer to review.

Thanks for any thoughts or input.

ree
Our Divorce Forums
Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
Working...
X