This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children's Aid Society

Having to deal with issues involving CAS does anyone have any insight on how to work with them? Child is taken out of the mother's care based on allegations only....they are making mother jump through hoops but no progress in getting the child back. She's willing to do what is needed but they really have no basis for prolonging this case and court is coming up soon for father's custody. We've caught CAS in several lies and really, they aren't helping the mother at all. All based on allegations and no proof....CAS haven't gone to court to remove the child , just did it. Need some help in how we can better deal with CAS and get them moving along a little quicker than what they're doing. Thanks.

what are the reasons that the child was taken? What do they want her to do?

Comment

Go to John Dunn's website...
      FOSTER CARE COUNCIL OF CANADA - ADVOCATING FOR TRANSPARENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY IN CHILD WEFLARE
      He's a wonderful advocate for people who have lost their children due to CAS interfering where they shouldn't. You can also reach him on Facebook.

Comment

such a long sordid story. child was taken away from a phone call to CAS from an outside source saying she is doing drugs. Now, she has to give urine tests of course but in the meantime access is extremely limited...3 hrs/week only. They have no proof of any wrongdoing just this one phone call. it's such a mess with alot of allegations on both parents' parts. thanks for the link, i'll check it out.

Comment

as long as she is passing the urine tests, what are their reasons for not letting her have more contact with her child? She needs to see a lawyer ASAP and get her child back

Comment

well there's the thing....no problem giving a urine test....yet they're dragging their feet...phone calls are going unanswered and they have no explanation as to why the mother can't see her child. they just want these tests and then anger management classes (which is one characteristic the mother does not have) and a doctor's app't.......but no reason as to why she can't be with her son......nothing.....they will not respond......period.

Comment

First thing she has to do is grow a pair! You set up a meeting with whomever is your worker and you bring 2 things...someone who has a pair and a tape recorder. They won't let you bring the other pair into the meeting but...it will help. Bring out the recorder at the beginning of the meeting. The CAS has very restrictive legal timelines to take action (learn those)...this beginning part is their honeymoon. Once this beginning part is over they will have to legally determine if the child is in need of protection. Their weapons are threats and intimidation yours are; holding them accountable to their own rules. The real trick is to be proactive, the waiting game of urine test is BS. Get your own done...that sort of thing. Start faxing the worker, not calling faxing! Find out whom she reports too, cc this person and, the one above her...they will have to receive copies...greasy wheel here means everything!!! Or sit back and wait for them...see where that gets you.

Comment

I agree and thanks for the advice. Mom is moving ahead on her own, doing own urine tests etc. Didn't realize that legally, CAS can keep the child only for a certain length of time before it has to go to court...that is interesting. Will google these timelines. Many many thanks.

Comment

Did Mom sign anything on this at all? CAS cannot just up and take a child without going through due process. Unless Mom signed willingly, they must show cause to a judge on the seizure of the children.

Without a signature, CAS needs grounds for an Ex Parte order...which means they need to be in court and show cause...usually within 5 business days of apprehension.

Comment

Here:

What You Should Know About Child Protection Court Cases - Ministry of the Attorney General

The law allows the CAS to remove children from their families and to ask a judge to make a court order to protect children. If the CAS has removed your child from your care, the CAS must take the case to court within 5 days

Comment

I honestly don't know what and if she signed anything. Sadly at this moment, we are at odds with each other and communication has broken down. I have sent her this link so maybe she'll jump on board for herself and read what everyone has to say. Many thanks everyone.

Comment

>> does anyone have any insight on how to work with them?

I wish I could help. I know I'm writing over a year after your initial post but what I have to say may help others.

Basically, do NOT trust the CAS. If you have problems with them, nobody can help you. It is not a government agency and therefore your MPP and the Ontario ombudsman can only take your complaint but they are powerless.

My situation is different but the CAS can make a temporary arrangement and make it permanent without seeking your permission. You can, if you can afford it, go to court. But the courts seem to side with the CAS all the time.

I've caught the CAS in many lies myself. They will intimidate you, make allegations and even threaten you. I've had all this happen to me.

Comment

When my ex and I split, I was awarded custody. She immediately called CAS and said I was on drugs and overmedicated. CAS called me and said if I took custody, they would take the kids away.

I explained my ex's craziness and how the kids would be better off in foster care than with her. CAS then met with me, called my family doctor, and closed their file within the hour.

I then asked how I could protect myself from future false claims, and they said I could volunteer to a 6mth contract for them to come to the house once a month and visit with us. I happily agreed and had a great experience with CAS.

When OCL got involved and ex brought up drugs and overmedicated again, I told the OCL I would happily agree to random drug tests... which I did with no worries. Great experience with OCL as well.

Sure these are things we shouldn't have to go through, but if you have nothing to hide... why not.

Comment

You can't lose your kids JUST based on a phone call. There is way more to the story than that.

CAS has strict requirements on what they are allowed to do and when. They tend to bully people into allowing involvement. However what MOST do not know, is you DO NOT have to cooperate with them. If you don't consent voluntarily, they are left with 3 options....

1. Apprehend the child, which starts their 5 day time line to be able to prove to a judge that they have sufficient grounds.

2. Court order to allow them to be involved. Again, they have to show proof.

3. Close the file.

Unless they have actual evidence (and a "phone call" is not sufficient) then 99% of the time if you don't agree to voluntary involvement, they will close the file as "inconclusive".

The only time I would ever recommend you cooperate with these organizations is if you are in the middle of a custody dispute. IF you cooperate and they close the file as "unsubstantiated" it's a LOT better for you.

CAS files are categorized in 3 ways: substantiated, inconclusive and unsubstantiated. Basically "allegation true, we can't tell either way, and allegation deemed false".

False is a lot better evidence wise than "we can't tel either way".

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                              You can't lose your kids JUST based on a phone call. There is way more to the story than that.
                              Yes, I'm in agreement with NBDad here. We don't have the full story here.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X