This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to raise support

Quick question. Are you supposed to change/raise support as soon as you get the raise, or when you do your taxes and exchange assessments with the ex? The ex was ordered to show his tax assessment and it turns out he was not paying according to what he was making last year but is saying that he only had to raise it when he did his taxes.
    Thanks

Well, it should be done when you have agreed to do it in your separation agreement.

I think reasonable people agree to adjust support once a year, around July when all tax information (ie NOAs) are in hand for the previous year. I do it July 1. So raises, job loss, etc, are all handled by that method.

Comment

If your a woman you get support in mummer1962's thread. If you're a man, you get support in billm's thread. This fixes family law, we don't have to ever argue about support again.

Comment

Comment

LMAO...but Mess that's NOT FAIR (Waaahhhhh)

In any event, it depends on how you worded your agreement. Could be either or. Once/year is the de facto norm that most people follow I do believe. However you ex needs to be aware that this works both ways...if he makes LESS he doesn't get to change it until you do the assessment each year.

Essentially offsets support by 1 year, but it all evens out and it's much less headache.

Comment

There's nothing in our divorce agreement about it, he usually raises it when he gets a raise, but says he forgot.
            As for the gender war that's going on in here, I really don't want to get involved and am frankly tired of seeing it. I am also sad that it spilled into my thread which had nothing to do with the men have it worse/women have it worse nonsense that is overtaking this site.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X