This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spousal Support; Guide vs. Reality ?

My lawyer has indicated the "likely" spousal support amount according to guidelines. the amount is pretty stiff and likely "indefinite" (ie. for life in other words). My question is, if things got ugly and we couldn't reach an agreement, is it probable that I could be ordered to pay such an outrageous amount for the rest of her (mine ?) life ? Or, is it unlikely the court would go with the "guide" and go with a lessor amount for a set period of time.

Basically, I'm wondering if the "guide" is "reality". If this is true, I'm basically going to be her financial slave for the rest of my life !!

The guide line is something to go upon. My ex can not really afford $500 a month, but its the guideline, and he pays it.

You need to prove your situation, that you are unable to make the guide lines payment. Credit cards, blah blah, bills, whatever it may be.

Unless you can prove you can not pay the guideline amount, and live, you will pay buy the guide lines.

Speaking from experience, the mediator is pretty good, if you can not come to am agreement, then you will see a judge the same day (That as in my case). Usually when you have a experience third party, you can come to a solution.

So start raking out your financial situation to be addressed. Your not claiming you don't want to pay, so figure out what you can, and don't low ball yourself, to look like an idiot. I do agree, really who can afford some of the guideline payments if you have a few children. I do agree it is costly, but so are kids.

All the best.

Comment

Sorry I thought that said child support. Next time need another coffee, before replying. Oopsies.

Comment

How long were you married, what are your incomes, did either sacrifice career wise for the marriage, how old are you and your ex, do you have kids, where do they live...more information needed

Comment

Married 25 years, kids 5 and 12; both of us in late 40's. She makes small income at a part time job I make low 6 figures; shared custody although mom is primary custodian. Wife did not sacrifice anything career wise and stay at home mom while kids were pre-school. No problem with CS. But SS support amount and duration (for life ?) seems rather excessive to me.

I have no problem helping her transition (say guide amount but only for maybe 5 years). Don't people have an obligation to support themselves eventually ?

Comment

You say "low six figures"..... but that could mean $100,000/year or $400,000/year....depending on your perspective.

You were married for a very long time, and you make big bucks compared to her, low income, part-time job.

If I were you.... I would start to prepare myself for the high liklelihood that you will be paying spousal support indefinitely.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X