This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOMA Struck Down in U.S.A.

Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act, paves way for gay marriage to resume in California - NBC Politics

It will be interesting to see how divorce law in the U.S.A. progresses once gay couples start divorcing in bigger numbers...particularly with regard to custody issues.

Everyone should be able to share in the pain of marriage.

Comment

On social issues, I've very much a libertarian. I'm not in favour of the government deciding who can marry who as long as they are two consenting adults. I'm not studied enough in US family law to be able to state if there is a gender bias, but if there is this would certainly build up case law against such a bias.

Comment

Everyone should be able to share in the pain of marriage.
        lol...now gay people in the U.S. can have mother-in-laws too!

Comment

Originally posted by Pursuinghappiness View Post
          Supreme Court strikes down Defense of Marriage Act, paves way for gay marriage to resume in California - NBC Politics

It will be interesting to see how divorce law in the U.S.A. progresses once gay couples start divorcing in bigger numbers...particularly with regard to custody issues.
          Excellent news and thank-you for sharing. The struggles of the gay, lesbian and transgender community are unfortunate in our society today. One would think that in the year 2013 we would have more progressive view on basic human rights. It is refreshing to know that at minimum in the State of California they can exercise their human rights as humans.

The gay, lesbian and transgender community has already brought much needed change in the system of family law for which I am greatful. But, we as Canadians have a lot to do to properly recognize that the role of parent is not defined by "gender" or "gender identity" but, Rule 24 of the CLRA and in particular:

Best interests of child
          (2) The court shall consider all the child’s needs and circumstances, including,
          (a) the love, affection and emotional ties between the child and,
          (i) each person entitled to or claiming custody of or access to the child,
          (ii) other members of the child’s family who reside with the child, and
          (iii) persons involved in the child’s care and upbringing;

(b) the child’s views and preferences, if they can reasonably be ascertained;

(c) the length of time the child has lived in a stable home environment;

(d) the ability and willingness of each person applying for custody of the child to provide the child with guidance and education, the necessaries of life and any special needs of the child;

(e) the plan proposed by each person applying for custody of or access to the child for the child’s care and upbringing;

(f) the permanence and stability of the family unit with which it is proposed that the child will live;

(g) the ability of each person applying for custody of or access to the child to act as a parent; and

(h) the relationship by blood or through an adoption order between the child and each person who is a party to the application. 2006, c. 1, s. 3 (1); 2009, c. 11, s. 10.
          No where, in this Act does it state that a particular gender, gender identity or sexual orientation is a "better parent".

The most important aspect of anything a parent can provide to their children is 24.(2).(a) -- Love and affection. There is often no reason anyone cannot love their children and no reason for many parents to contest custody and access through litigation for "their" children before the court... Other than to meet a self-serving need and/or anxious state of thinking in my personal opinion.

Good Luck!
          Tayken
          Last edited by Tayken; 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Love this <3

MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS - SAME LOVE feat. MARY LAMBERT (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube

Comment

Sexual orientation is an issue in 2013?

For shame.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X