This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-tox

Getting off the anti-depressants, so far, appears to be harder than getting off the drugs ever was.

Ow. My poor head.

Get lots of sleep!

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
      Getting off the anti-depressants, so far, appears to be harder than getting off the drugs ever was.

Ow. My poor head.
      Which medication have you been taking?

Most of the antidepressants require a gradual reduction. Side effects are common with weaning for most, although they should not be severe. If they are, talk to your doctor about a slower weaning of the medication.

I am hopeful that you are working with your doctor to do this.

Comment

Weaning off is usually done over a 4-5 week period. That is my understanding. If your s/e are severe, don't hesitate to call your Doctor.

It takes weeks for your body to absorb the meds, likewise they need to be phased out gradually. Good luck. Don't suffer in silence. Call your doctor with any concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
          Weaning off is usually done over a 4-5 week period. That is my understanding. If your s/e are severe, don't hesitate to call your Doctor.

It takes weeks for your body to absorb the meds, likewise they need to be phased out gradually. Good luck. Don't suffer in silence. Call your doctor with any concerns.
          This is true, however it depends on the type of medication and the amount. If say you are on a dose of 300mg of Venlafaxine it may take several months to wean off of it. If a dosage of the same is 50mg it may take only a few weeks.

This is why it is important that you work with and speak with your family doctor or prescribing physician regarding weaning off of which ever antidepressant you are taking and advise them of the symptoms you are having.

Many wean themselves off and place themselves at risk of further problems.
          Last edited by OhMy; 01-29-2013, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Thx OhMy for clarifying. I've been on a med for quite some time (not an anti-depressant) and I know I'm going to have a challenge when I decide (w/my doctor) that it's time to wean off.

Definitely stopping cold-turkey or otherwise self-weaning can be very dangerous and in some cases fatal. Under no circumstances should that be done. A quick call to ie: a Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacist can give you some good, free info until you are able to speak w/your physician.

Comment

Originally posted by hadenough View Post
              Thx OhMy for clarifying. I've been on a med for quite some time (not an anti-depressant) and I know I'm going to have a challenge when I decide (w/my doctor) that it's time to wean off.

Definitely stopping cold-turkey or otherwise self-weaning can be very dangerous and in some cases fatal. Under no circumstances should that be done. A quick call to ie: a Shoppers Drug Mart pharmacist can give you some good, free info until you are able to speak w/your physician.
              This is why I am being cautionary. Otis has worked very hard to get to the point where he is and has been able to objectively reflect on his situation.

I for one do not wish to see anything happen that could of been avoided. I am certain others also agree.

Comment

Sorry I came right out and said "fatal" but if it helps ppl to realize (and I don't mean just WO) that there is a safe, effective way to do this, then it needs to be said.

It's a big step to take: going on or off meds. It needs to be done wisely and under the supervision of a physician/medical practicioner

Comment

I couldn't help but notice that this post and your other one about your child going on medication for ADHD happened pretty much simultaneously. I hope you are not endangering your own health and well-being just to prove that medication for mental disorders is unnecessary in the hopes of affecting your child's situation. Every individual and their needs are different.

Comment

Yes I've had my dosage reduced over a 6 month period.

Yesterday was my first day at zero dosage. Today I feel out of sorts, and a little dizzy when standing and such. I was told to expect it, and it may last for 3-5 days.

Rather disconcerting, however.

Comment

Congratulations on getting off the drug! Eliminate junk food, eat lots of vegetables and fruit and drink lots of water. It will get better.

Comment

Congrats!Im not the only one who got the all clear from taking anti-depressants, after leaving the ex

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X