This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teenager's grades drop

All I ask for is the separation agreement be signed and now the mediator is not answering my calls or email. My concern is any changes involving any of the children is to be discussed betwen the two of us. Our oldest (16) moved in with her dad last August due to more freedom there and fewer rules. She has gone from being an honours student, won't share information on her grades and has dropped a course from this semester. No contact from her dad or her in these changes I found out from our son. He is the only one of the three kids that goes from my house to my spouses. My oldest doesn't come here due to her being too busy with her boyfriend and my youngest doesn't see her dad due to her feeling he chooses his girlfriend over her.She is the only one of the three kids he did not introduce to his new woman.School refuses to contact me if any changes are made due to address being different than mine eventhough I am her mother.Do I have a leg to stand on when it comes to her grades and changing things like her courses since she lives with her dad?

Thanks

I'm not sure what you might be expecting/hoping for?

If the family were together, would you expect to call the school and veto course changes?

The school should be providing you with information and even copies of report cards, we don't have that problem. Do you have any wording in your separation agreement about this?

Conatact the school board, or preferably your local trustee. Don't raise your voice or complain, just politely ask for the exact wording of board policy, and hopefully where you can find it in writing. Once you have the policy in hand, take it to the school principal and try to get an arrangement with them so you aren't constantly battling underlings.

To my knowledge, you shouldn't be having this problem, medical and school information should be freely available. Even if you don't have custody you are still her parent. The Ontario Children's Law Reform Act section 20 (5):
    The entitlement to access to a child includes the right to visit with and be visited by the child and the same right as a parent to make inquiries and to be given information as to the health, education and welfare of the child.

This means you don't need full custody to get info, if you are the access parent you still get full info. Even if your daughter doesn't want to have visitation with you, in legal terms you are still an access parent. (At least. Ideally you also have joint legal custody/guardianship by court order or separation agreement, this would spell it out firmly, but it isn't necessary.)

AFAIK in Toronto school board they go by the Children's Law Reform Act for board policy. I don't know where you live but it should be similar.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X