Access to care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to care?

Ex and I are separating and going to mediation. Child is in 20s, but going through a short-term medical challenge and is a dependent. If spouse is the one to provide child support, what are his rights as a father for access to care (ex. going on appointments, say on care)? While dependent, child is able to make own decisions.

My eldest is 18 and still in school so is a dependent. Neither his father or I would have access to any medical appointments etc unless he invited us and gave consent. I don't think my contact info is listed on any of his medical forms unless as emergency only.

Comment

I don't think it is so much that CS is being paid for the basically adult male, but the age the dictates what either parent is told. Unless he is mentally incapacitated he is quite able to make his own decisions on care and information released.

Comment

The child is an adult. The dependency is from a short-term illness or something, but previously he was independent and working and there was no CS?

There is no custody, so all the decisions are up to the adult child, as is what information he shares with his parents.

I don't even think there should be CS. If he was an independent adult before whatever temporary issue this is arose, then it's nice if one or more parents to help him out, but it doesn't rate a formal CS arrangement.

Comment

If your child is 20 then legally NEITHER parent has any rights to information. However, as a concerned parent do you really think its right to keep them out of the information loop? Divorce aside, they probably care about their child and any animosity the child has towards them should be dispelled by the parent they are in the care of. Its not right to withhold information or access to someones child. Even if kid doesnt want to speak to their parent, the other parent should be sharing information and telling kid they are doing so because that person is still a parent.

Don't play that "kid doesn't want you to know so Im not telling you" game. Its not right.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X