This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical benefits?

My ex and I are pretty close after a long back and forth re: sep agreement. Yes she wants half my RRSPs as of the sep date and into my CPP in addition to spousal support, okay, whatever. But she also wants me to maintain her health benefits thru my company plan, which are pretty good.

She's had some health issues pop up recently so this is on her mind but considering that we will eventually be divorced, am I under any obligation to maintain these benefits? Just seems that if we are finally divorced that I would check this box off on the employee profile and her coverage ceases...
    What if I want to re-marry (ha, ha, ha) and the new wife expects coverage?
    Just seems to be an 'ask' I don't have to provide. Thanks y'all.

Tell her to go pound sand about the benefits. Look closely at the fine print of your benefits. Mine stated that if I was separated or divorced, my spouse was no longer covered. Give your health benefit provider a call to see what the policy is on separated spouses.

As far as I know, you are under no obligation to provide her medical benefits unless for some reason a court order states otherwise.

Comment

My partner had to wait a year after finally getting his ex off his benefits before he could put me on his benefits because he never informed them of the split and did keep her covered. I guess there is a 1 year wait on his policy. No biggie but as you said one day you might want coverage for your new partner. Can't have it both ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomstrike View Post
        Tell her to go pound sand about the benefits.

what he said.

Comment

My X's lawyer told him to tell me I was to keep him on my health plan. To keep him on would of cost me $160.00 a month...alone it costs me $89.00. My coverage is also very good, I asked him to pay 1/2 and he said no...so I took him off and nothing can be done about it. I agree that you should check your health plan to see what/who you can and cannot take off. My pension plan cannot be changed to my children...it has to stay in my X's name...should I die he gets it all.

Comment

Thanks for the insight! K

Comment

Good to know. K

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X