No announcement yet.

Child support based on actual expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you not have this step down/transition to working put into your agreement? Are you still working on the agreement that you can do that?

It doesnt matter what your plans were while married, you set up a situation where you made a high income and she stayed at home. Now you have set that standard. You can try to quit and go into real estate but she can argue you are purposely underemployed.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
      Did you not have this step down/transition to working put into your agreement? Are you still working on the agreement that you can do that?

It doesnt matter what your plans were while married, you set up a situation where you made a high income and she stayed at home. Now you have set that standard. You can try to quit and go into real estate but she can argue you are purposely underemployed.
      I have a step down in the spousal, it steps down every year for 6 years.

If she can argue that I'm underemployed that's fine, but if she is easily capable of making $60k and she is only making $10k then how does her argument trump mine?

The same holds true, it doesn't matter that we got divorced, she is no longer a stay at home wife, she has 6 months of the year to herself and won't work. If this is how our system really is then I understand the high suicide rates, I was there for a while when we first split.

She won't even let my kids get vaccinated, among other things, so if I have to build a case to show she is unfit and unstable I could do that too.

Very frustrating! She doesn't clean my house anymore, but I have to pay for hers.....what a joke.

Comment

Does this hold any value at all?

Child support agreements

Comment

When deciding on a child support amount, you may find it helpful to know how much support a judge would likely order to be paid in your situation.
          You cant avoid the FCSG. If your ex got legal advice (which she would before signing anything) she will be told that anything below guideline ESPECIALLY at your income level will not jive with a judge.

You have to pay the legal amount of cs.

Comment

Originally posted by Acadia71 View Post
            Does this hold any value at all?

Child support agreements

Sure if your ex agrees but do you really think she's going to agree to take a huge cut in CS just because you don't like the laws and what you have to pay?

If you think real estate is such a sure thing quit your other job and get into the real estate but if your income drops you continue to pay what you would be had you not left the first job.

You can try your best to argue less CS but at the income level you are talking about a judge will laugh at you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Berner_Faith View Post
              If you think real estate is such a sure thing quit your other job and get into the real estate but if your income drops you continue to pay what you would be had you not left the first job.

You can try your best to argue less CS but at the income level you are talking about a judge will laugh at you

She can easily work and make $60k per year, she did it before we were together in 2 different career paths but now refuses to work in either one of them.......so why can't I change career paths and see what happens? How does this not come into play at all?

Comment

Unless she is told by a judge she needs to go back to work at that income she doesnt have to. You were the one working. That set the status quo. If you turned around and said screw it Im quitting she would then file an application for support and they would average out your last three years. You would need to argue successfully to reduce and impute an income to her. She could argue that she has been out of the workforce long enough to not get that income. The two of you would spend tens of thousands of dollars on a legal fight.

Unless you are willing to fight this for years in court, none of the arguments work. You make a high income, you pay accordingly. If you were concerned you should have quit your job BEFORE you separated AND made her go back to work immediately after the one year mat leave.

Comment

The status quo is no longer the same but the income has to be.....what a great system.

Thanks for all the support

Comment

The status quo is no longer the same but the income has to be.....what a great system.

Thanks for all the support

You can go to court to get an income imputed to her but her $60k a year is nothing compared to the $300k you are stating you are on your way to make.

She can have an income imputed to $60k a year but doesn't mean she has to work. You would still owe her offset which is still going to be a large amount. In reality neither of you have to work... she can be imputed at $60k and you at $300k... as long as you can pay based on the $300k then you can quit all you want. But why you would want to quit a $300k job to avoid paying your ex is beyond me... what you pay her is a drop in the bucket in what you take home

Comment

The status quo is the same. You want to change it which will have an impact on your income. Plus she stayed home for ten years. Like a few other men with the same beef were told, you cant fix a problem you had a hand in creating. The system may be broken but its not broken in cases like yours.

And before you get upset, my partner made $25,000 for two years because the economy collapsed and his employment field disappeared. His ex (who makes 100 grand) is now arguing he was under employed (while freely admitting his income was that low during their marriage), should pay cs at the highest income hes ever made, should pay cs for a kid who isnt even eligible, should pay for expenses she refuses to disclose properly AND his kids refuse to speak to him because poor hard done by mom is taking a beating from him. He will have to pay at least ten grand in legal fees and the kids expenses by the time this is over. THAT is where the system is broken.

Comment

You can go to court to get an income imputed to her but her $60k a year is nothing compared to the $300k you are stating you are on your way to make.

She can have an income imputed to $60k a year but doesn't mean she has to work. You would still owe her offset which is still going to be a large amount. In reality neither of you have to work... she can be imputed at $60k and you at $300k... as long as you can pay based on the $300k then you can quit all you want. But why you would want to quit a $300k job to avoid paying your ex is beyond me... what you pay her is a drop in the bucket in what you take home

To be clear I don't make $300k per year at my job, closer to $150. I will be coming up with other income streams to hit the $300k and it appears I need to do it inside a corporation and hire a good accountant, and work for cash where possible.

The fact that my income can double or close to double and I pay based on that is sick, when there is nothing to keep her from not actually working at all.

Comment

If she's imputed an income why do you care if she's working?

Comment

A word of caution: your ex can hire a forensic accountant to go through your business and a judge will impute an income to you based on their findings. You will then be ordered to pay her costs for all of that.

Its best to remember that child support is the right of the child not you or your ex. Any attempts you make to hide money or prevent your children from getting child support will work against you in court.

Comment

If she's imputed an income why do you care if she's working?

She isn't imputed yet, it is 2 years away.

As of now she is imputed at $0 and it builds to $60k over 6 years.

Comment

She isn't imputed yet, it is 2 years away.

As of now she is imputed at $0 and it builds to $60k over 6 years.

Well then that's your issue. You could have had her imputed to at least min wage because anyone can get a min wage job. And like stated above, try to work for cash but that too will bite you. Best to just follow the law

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                                Working...
                                X