Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1 year marriage and bought a house. How can we minimize the damage?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justcurioustoknow View Post
    does this strictly apply to term of marriage or is commonlaw rolled in to this as well (I am guessing not but want to confirm).
    Specifically section 5 (6) (e) includes cohabitation before marriage. This is the "less than 5 years and it is unconscionable to split assets equally" section.

Pope vs. Pope 1999

There may be other decsions on this, I haven't gone through them all.

Comment

I don't think she's going to agree to list it and split 50/50.. She likes it too much and I think she may want to buy me out. I wouldn't mind buying her out but right now I can't because I'm making a lot less on EI for these three or four months that ill be off work. So I feel like I'm in a pretty vulnerable position.

If I call up a divorce lawyer right now, what would he be able to do? We don't even have a separation date.

I thought I could just tough it out until September but I think I misunderstood: I can't get divorced in Sept 2013 because I will have been married for a year... I can only get divorced one year after the separation date which hasn't actually been determined yet...

I'm not sure what my options are... To just continue living in a toxic relationship whilst collecting EI and getting therapy for anxiety and hopefully being able to make a return to work,

or just give up and ask her to talk to the bank about possibly refinancing the mortgage so she can pay me half of the equity....

Or perhaps see a divorce lawyer (but really not sure what he could do for me at this point)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X