Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it legal for my ex to disclose my salary to anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it legal for my ex to disclose my salary to anyone?

My Ex contacted my neighbour with the aim to get a letter of support stating that my ex was taking care of the house while I was working. Aside from many lies that he told my neighbour, my neighbour told me that I should be happy that I have a good salary, and he got the ballpark figure right. I have never disclosed my salary to my neighbour. Was my ex within his legal right to disclose my salary? I am not on the sunshine list...
    If my ex exceeded his rights to disclose my salary, can I ask for a court order prohibiting him from disclosing my personal information? Should I report this to the police? What are my legal rights?
    Last edited by EspoirN; 10-30-2019, 11:03 AM. Reason: completion

You can’t get a court order or take any punitive action.

You can tell your ex to stop sharing private information about you but that will be difficult to stop.

You can tell your neighbour this is none of their business.

You can also get off this hill because it’s not one you want to die on.

Comment

There is essentially nothing you can do. While it shows his character that he is willing share this information with your neighbours, no law was broken.

Comment

As well, if the paperwork is filed at the courthouse it is public knowledge. If you want your matter to be the private go to arbitration, settle out of court, etc... As soon as you bring anything to court it becomes part of the public record.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X