Tax Benefits for Parents...help explain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Benefits for Parents...help explain

Child tax credit: In the 2014 tax year, the federal credit is $2,255 for each child under 18, which works out to tax savings of around $338 per child.

Universal child care benefit: All families, regardless of income, are eligible to receive $100 each month per child under six. As of Jan. 1, 2015, UCCB payments to children under six will increase to $160 a month. There will also be a new benefit of $60 a month for children age six to 17, also effective Jan. 1, 2015. But the enhanced benefits won't be paid until July 2015, so parents will get a retroactive payment then. Because of the enhancements to the UCCB, the child tax credit will be eliminated as of the 2015 tax year. Note that the Canada child tax benefit (see below) has not changed. Apply using the Canada child benefits application.

Canada child tax benefit: The eligibility and amount of this tax-free monthly benefit for each child under 18 is determined by family net income, province of residence and number of children. If you file late, payment may be temporarily put on hold as the amount is based on income reported on your annual tax returns. The child tax credit is indexed to inflation and new rates take effect July 1 of each year.

Questions:

1. So the big one i.e. claiming dependent child which most people argue about, child tax credit is being eliminated then?

2. Enhanced UCCB starting July 15 is to replace the above child tax credit?

3. In Ontario, does everyone get the CCTB or is there a cut-off earning that you become ineligible?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/taxe...ors_picks=true

Thank you

1. Yes I Believe that's the one being eliminated.

2. Yes.

3. Not everyone receives it. It's based on the income of the parent who claims the child. I'm not positive what the cut off is but I think it's fairly high, maybe around $60k a year.

Comment

The cra website has a cctb calculator that you can use to see if you're eligible and for how much.

Comment

Thanks for your response. There is a shared custody 50-50 in my situation, and I earn more than 60k.

Originally posted by OntarioMomma View Post
        1. Yes I Believe that's the one being eliminated.

2. Yes.

3. Not everyone receives it. It's based on the income of the parent who claims the child. I'm not positive what the cut off is but I think it's fairly high, maybe around $60k a year.

Comment

All the information you need will be here:

Shared custody

The CCTB calculator seems to be down at the moment.

Comment

Thanks...it was the UCCB that am most interested in now based on my 50-50 shared custody. Our divorce order had me relinquishing the ex to claim the child dependent tax, but if the Govt is doing away with it, and rolling it into the UCCB as quoted below, does this mean due to no fault of my own, I get to benefit now from this new proposal?????

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced in October that Ottawa would expand the Universal Child Care Benefit that it first launched in 2006. The original family benefit of $100 a month for each child under six is increasing to $160 a month. Also, parents will receive a new benefit of $60 a month for each child between the ages of six and 17.
            Family tax breaks to benefit parents with no childcare expenses: PBO - The Globe and Mail

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
            All the information you need will be here:

Shared custody

The CCTB calculator seems to be down at the moment.

Comment

A lot of useful information is here:

https://simpletax.ca/blog/2014/new-family-tax-credits

When you say your ex claims the "child dependent tax", do you mean the Child Amount (line 367 on the federal tax form) or the Amount for Eligible Dependant (AED, line 305)? Divorced single parents may be eligible to claim both. The Child Amount is the one that's getting eliminated, but it's only worth about $300 so it's not really worth fighting over. The AED is the big one, which can be worth in the $1000-$2000 range, so that's the one most likely to be the subject of disagreement by parents. Check your order to see whether it's the Child Amount or the AED that your ex gets to claim.

Comment

Does income still play a role in claiming the UCCB and CCTB? It doesn't make sense that in shared custody situations if one parent makes over $100k and the other only makes $20k that CRA takes half of these tax benefits and keeps them since the $100k parents income is too high.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Canadaguy View Post
                  Does income still play a role in claiming the UCCB and CCTB? It doesn't make sense that in shared custody situations if one parent makes over $100k and the other only makes $20k that CRA takes half of these tax benefits and keeps them since the $100k parents income is too high.

Am I understanding this correctly?
                  Every parent gets UCCB with children under 18.
                  CCTB is income based.

Comment

With the new budget, income splitting means absolutely nothing to separated / divorced parents. Oh well

Let see if I get a back dated fat cheque come July.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                    Working...
                    X