Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 07:13 PM
stoopid1 stoopid1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 29
stoopid1 is on a distinguished road
Default child support question

Hello everyone,

I have a 18 year old son who will finish high school next week. He will not be attending post secondary school but instead plans on working. As I understand it, once a child's 18 and out of school child support is done. I've already paid $30 000.00 more than I should have for child support and he lives with me 50%.

My ex will never willingly agree to contact FRO and have them change my support from 3 kids to 2 kids so I'll need to go to court to try and have him removed. Can anyone tell me how to go about doing this. I can't afford a lawyer because of the ridiculous child support I pay and I was wondering if I could do this on my own and get duty councel at the court house and if so what forms would I need.

I'm really hoping my ex will agree to co-operate before court. Once she realizes that I've started a court proceeding she may then agree to do the right thing so she won't look bad in court.

thank you, stoop
Old 01-17-2008, 08:44 PM
littleman's Avatar
littleman littleman is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: OTTAWA
Posts: 552
littleman is on a distinguished road

I dont believe you have to return to court. You can contact FRO on your own........all you need is your case file and advise them that your child is 18 years may need to produce proof (birth certicate, baptismal, health card, etc) of his age......they will stop deducting for three once they are made takes about three months for them to catch up.....I sure if your ex is child-centered then she should give you back the difference.....but if not then you will need to inform FRO of the overpayment and they will deduct from future payment far as needing to go back to court if she is unagreeable.....FRO takes care of you as much as they will take care of recipient.......its in their hands now they take care of garnishment and any stoppages after it is started with for age restrictions I would DEFINATELY advise them that one of your children are age of majority.....good luck keep us informed
Old 01-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Fair4All Fair4All is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Fair4All is on a distinguished road
Default Notice to End Support Form

As per littleman, you can contact FRO directly and ask that support be terminated based on a "termination event". A list of termination events should be listed in your divorce agreement (eg. child older than 18 and not attending a post-secondary educational program). Don't forget to include a Notice to End Support form with your letter to FRO. This form can be found at:

My understanding is that the FRO will write to the ex requesting confirmation. She has the option of not responding at all. I think you will eventually have to go back to court to have the agreement changed, in which case it may reflect poorly on her if she failed to respond (or worse, lies and says the child is attending a post-secondary educational program). Not knowing your ex, is there a possibility that should she receive the letter from FRO, that she would insist the child enroll in college/university? If there is, you may wish to wait until schools have ceased taking enrolments. This would save you the effort of corresponding with FRO, just to have your child decide at the last minute to pursue further education.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The suit against FRO moves forward part1 AtALoss Divorce & Family Law 51 09-30-2013 11:01 AM
Who is responsible for Child Support momof3 Divorce & Family Law 16 05-12-2011 11:20 AM
Retroactive Child Support (Ont) Mess Divorce & Family Law 21 03-02-2010 12:41 AM
Joint Effort to Change Table Amounts of CS 350_dad Political Issues 43 12-18-2009 01:01 AM
Child Support Question Gwen Financial Issues 10 10-16-2008 11:54 AM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:33 PM.