Final Say vs. Sole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Say vs. Sole

What are the major differences between having joint custody with final say vs. sole custody?

Off the top of my head, I would say there is no meaningful difference. "Final say" may include some obligation to inform or consult the other parent before making decisions, but ultimately you make the decision. Maybe "final say" could refer to some subset of parenting - final say over activities and schools, but not over residence or education? but that seems unusual to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Perserverance View Post
      What are the major differences between having joint custody with final say vs. sole custody?
      Sole custody as my lawyer explained it only gives you the legal right to soley make the decisions in regards to your childrens lives, I am not sure if it helps you get a passport or travel abroad easier, I think anyone with an access order needs to sign a letter for you in that case even if you have sole custody. Mabe you can make the decision to put your child in private school, or choose a religion for them....maybe check with a lawyer how it could help you, joint custody with final say might be an interim order thing thats easier to get...

Comment

I think it's a scam, "final say" = sole custody.

Comment

Originally posted by Perserverance View Post
          My understanding is that if a parent has sole custody they are able to make decisions about the child's life (including travel) without consulting the other parent and are only required to "advise" the other parent of their decision.

A parent with sole custody can also usually relocate without having to get consent from the other parent as long as arrangements for access to continue are made.

Final say requires that the parents negotiate and make joint decisions about the various aspects of care for the child. Only if the parents disagree would the final say clause come into play.

If final say is put in place for a joint custody situation, it is often split between the parents (but not always), for example: One parent has final say in health and religion and the other parent has final say in education and extracurricular activities.
          Last edited by YoungDad23; 01-16-2016, 08:46 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X