Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We mediated and arbitrated (all the same session). The agreement went back and forth fixing up a few things, for example life insurance. We started at 11 am and by 5p.m. I left the med/arb offices with my lawyer and the agreement signed and sealed.
    What was expensive was the fees that were paid in advance to the med/ arb.
    It has to be paid in full 1 week before we met and he charged each party 3250 for the day.
    On top of that were my lawyer(and assistant) and accountant(and assitant) fees. I figured each hour cost over 2000.

Comment

Thank you momforever1956 for all this information. I appreciate your responses.

You spent about $13,000 - $15,000?

I have surpassed that by far already, and I am guessing the arbitration part will be at least $10,000. The last affidavit I had filed cost about $3,200. It was just a straight affidavit, no response, no briefs.

At this point I don't think I could have spent any less had we gone to court.

Comment

That amount I mentioned was just for that day. I have been with lawyers and accountants for 3years---the amount of money spent is truly criminal, on the otherhand without the proof and the disclosure I sought there is no way I would have the amount of support and property that we agreed upon.
        Maybe court would not have been more expensive if we went to court in the beginning, but until I got disclosure there was no point going to court.
        I think or I believe, has no merit and no decisions can be based on I know. For a proper and fair settlement it has to be based on facts. I think in the end court would have been more expensive with all the forms that need to be done. It is a shame how this process works. I have to say though with a fair deal the anger and bitterness just vanished, and my only regret is that my x got away for so long with lies and deception. It all was disclosed in the end, so my support was based on true numbers but the costs to get those numbers ended up being my responsibility. I believe in court I would have been entitled to costs, as the med/ arb agreed that it was his lies that slowed downt this process.

Comment

In Alberta we have a JDR (Judicial Dispute Resolution) which can either be binding or non-binding. In my case we opted for binding. Lawyers submitted binders of info 30 days in advance. We met in a conference room in the courthouse with judge and at the end of the day we were divorced. Totally recommend the process. No one can drag their new boyfriend/girlfriend into the process and if you choose binding then there is no appeal (unless of course there is an error made in law). Judge controls the day and no one gets to hog the discussion.

I think this mirrors your binding arbitration process in Ontario. Keeps the drama and eliminates histrionics and grandstanding by lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by arabian View Post
            In Alberta we have a JDR (Judicial Dispute Resolution) which can either be binding or non-binding. .
            I couldn't get agreement for this.

Dates for JDR are hard to come by. At the time, (late last year), the first available date was for March or later, of this year.

Ex. wanted this done and settled by last christmas, and at the very latest, Feb. of this year.

Now its almost the end of May, arbitration ruling will be end of September. So I find his reasoning very amusing, because he just doesn't shut up, talks endlessly, blah, blah, blah, loves to hear himself and hear how intelligent he is.

Did I mention I'm frustrated!

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
            Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
            Working...
            X