This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question

There are so many brilliant people on this forum, I just need to pick someone's brain. If a parent who has access to a child and CAS sends a letter stating they are closing the file on that parent, how would someone take that? Does it mean they will no longer provide the access (at the agency) therefore take it up in court? or does it mean case closed, they're no longer involved period. A brief e-mail was sent with a letter to follow stating the why part. We're just trying to interpet because we all know how long mail can take.

Need more information on how CAS is involved...

Comment

long story short, joint access...father kept the child and hasn't handed him back yet...mother was question by CAS re safety of the child...so much back & forth with CAS. mother had a "breakdown" of sorts and there was trouble with the law....& CAS and the father played on this. She after 6 mos. has received this e-mail stated her file is closed. ?? just so sudden and we're suspicious. settlement conference in 2 weeks....strange

Comment

Originally posted by selectivedi View Post
        long story short, joint access...father kept the child and hasn't handed him back yet...mother was question by CAS re safety of the child...so much back & forth with CAS. mother had a "breakdown" of sorts and there was trouble with the law....& CAS and the father played on this. She after 6 mos. has received this e-mail stated her file is closed. ?? just so sudden and we're suspicious. settlement conference in 2 weeks....strange
        1. CAS generally wouldn't send an email it would be sent via standard mail.

2. Nothing substantial can be dealt with at a case conference. Unless the other party agrees the custody and access won't change at a CC. The matter would have to go on motion.

3. CAS would give you feedback as to why the file is being closed. Was CAS' involvement court ordered or was it someone who initiated the contact?

4. Supervised access and a CAS investigation are two different things. Because the investigation has concluded it doesn't mean that the supervised access (court ordered?) wouldn't stop.

5. Access is based on a court order. What does the court order say. CAS' investigation would have some finding and/or result.

Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
          1. CAS generally wouldn't send an email it would be sent via standard mail.
          Agreed: Something smells funny here...

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

You're so right something is smelly. CAS sent an e-mail stating the above and the letter is in the mail. The child was put in the care of his uncle who in turn sent him for the routine visit with his father as per court. Father did not return child to uncle. Father initiated CAS and hence the involvement with them. Mother wasn't taken to court by CAS but the father still has child. Mom has been no angel mind you but certainly not to be removed from her child and only granted little access. So she has complied as they wanted her to and did what was required. All while waiting for court dates and routinely having supervised access. It's so long a story and somewhat twisted and now this letter. The e-mail also stated it's between the court and parents now. Don't want to get our hopes up but seems like they won't be involved any longer....yet father still has the child and will not allow her to see or call him. Just can't figure why it's not adding up.

Comment

Need Legal Help for sure!

The CAS often does become involved in situations where there are parents separating, arguing over child etc.. BUT THEIR MANDATE IS THAT THEY DO NOT BECOME INVOLVED IN ANT CUSTODY/ACCESS issues. The problem is that it is largely dependant on the agency and even the worker assigned, some are out there without having completed much of the intensive risk assessment training they need!
              Always get EVERYTHING in writing, request they summarize in a letter after any meeting and you can do the same. You need a lawyer who is experienced with family law in particular so they can get things straight. CAS involvement can be very confusing and I lived through this a couple of years ago, worked for CAS from 1993 to 1999 then went to scholl social work. Even though it had been a while I found that just updating myself looking at changes in documents that are online I was more knowledgeable than 2/3 of the workers I met.
              They made many mistakes and eventually I received an out of court settlement of $7000 for court fees, pain and suffering etc. My lawyer was very experienced in Family Law and approached the CAS legal counsel and the deal was worked out, I have to say I didnt think it would happen regardless of their mistakes but it di a year later.
              My point, keep on top of what is goingf on, put everything in writing and ask them to do the same and use a lawyer they know is skilled at family law.
              The information you have given sounds like a semi professional office/worker and unclear direction from an agency that has ultimate power over what happens with children, dangerous combination. I was always very aware of the power I had when I did this job and respected it deeply, not everyone does.

Comment

thanks for the replies. I admit CAS has been very confusing and working with them has been frustrating. They state one thing, yet mean another. We do have a lawyer but the whole case is so disjointed that we hope things will get sorted out soon.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X