No announcement yet.

Recognizing Emotional Manipulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My family saw through it as well but I denied and left my family relations to support my ex. He could not do the same. Unfortunately at their gravesite I had to tell them they were right

Comment

Originally posted by oink View Post
      Someone is going to run to the Mods on this...it's not what people want to hear i.e. you are hurting their feelings you know
      I have never had a single issue with the mods, being warned, silenced, banned - whatever.

I reiterate - people should understand that often times their situation is of their own doing. With or without outside influences trying to manipulate you.

Comment

Thanks, Forrest.

Comment

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
          I have never had a single issue with the mods, being warned, silenced, banned - whatever.

I reiterate - people should understand that often times their situation is of their own doing. With or without outside influences trying to manipulate you.
          Here is the sequence of events:
          1. He makes progressively sexist, vulgar comments;
          2. Other posters complain about the comments in a thread about his behaviour, where he refuses to apologize;
          3. He gets warned several times by the Mods and by the board owner;
          4. He apologizes then, apparently not because he sees anything wrong with his posts, but because he has been called out;
          5. He now makes repeated posts like the above, dramaticly portraying himself as a victim of authoritarianism.
          6. Which is what makes me believe his earlier apology was insincere.
          Oink, if you really bad about the posts you made that were offensive to others, then you shouldn't feel that you were unfairly targeted by the mods. If you really feel that the mods were unfair, then you weren't being sincere with your apology.
          I do feel that this scenario is on topic regarding emotional manipulation.

Comment

Yes, the insincere apology. Very typical with an emotional manipulator.

Apologize, blame and describe how they are really the victim in all of it. I heard many of them.

Originally posted by wretchedotis View Post
            The thing about this, is that ultimately it's ones own job to not let anyone pull you away from doing your own thing.

In other words, it's ones own fault they allowed themselves to be manipulated in the first place. Yeah I know, I shouldn't blame the victim.
            The bully, ie. manipulator, is never at fault! They aren't responsible for their own actions, the words that come out of their mouths? Yea right.

Ya know this is why it is hard for some family and friends to see this person as anything but a fair and good person. A manipulator knows very well how to behave and what is acceptable in society, they hide it well. But behind closed doors, a totally different person. Confused me, confused our kids and perpetuates the " you must be crazy because no one else believes you", attitude. And why most do not tell outsiders what is going on.

Comment

it is very true- i experienced every little bit of it. its hard to see at times since part of it is actually human nature....i know my ex wanted to date me because i have good education and learned how to tolerate things.....eventually he started showing his true colour and it turned out to be abusive.

Comment

You are posting on. Old threads - this is called necroposting and it is a form of emotional abuse

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                  You are posting on. Old threads - this is called necroposting and it is a form of emotional abuse
                  She can post on whatever the F she wants .... the only abuse I can see, is coming from you Links. Give it a rest already.

Comment

Originally posted by Links17 View Post
                    What's wrong with old posts? They don't deserve to be revisited and talked about? It's a very interesting article too no?

Comment

Resurrecting old threads [necroposting] is discouraged. Your late reply most likely will be pointless, as either the discussion is no longer relevant (things change with time), or the initial contributors are no longer part of our community.

If you find an old thread that you find interesting, please start a new thread on the topic. In starting a new thread, you’ll not only get to express your own thoughts, but you’ll also encourage fresh discussion.
                      Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Originally posted by mcdreamy View Post
                        Resurrecting old threads [necroposting] is discouraged. Your late reply most likely will be pointless, as either the discussion is no longer relevant (things change with time), or the initial contributors are no longer part of our community.

If you find an old thread that you find interesting, please start a new thread on the topic. In starting a new thread, you’ll not only get to express your own thoughts, but you’ll also encourage fresh discussion.
                        Sorry I wasn't aware of this. Is this a general forum culture or just pertaining to is specific forum?

Comment

It's fairly standard etiquette on discussion forums across the globe.

When you think about it, the overall policy sort of makes sense - new people creating new topics and engaging others in fresh discussion keeps the forums active.
                          Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X