This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Babysitter - Night School

I recently accepted a new job that requires I upgrade my skills via night school. My ex wont take the kids any extra nights. Is a babysitter a section 7 expense during the evening if its required for work? Grandma's doing it in the meantime, but its getting too much for her.

I don't think it even matters if Dad will take them or not. Daycare for employment purposes is an automatic S7 expense. Dad could offer to take them, Kate could say "nah, I'm going with the daycare" and Dad would still have to pay his proportionate share.

...not saying Kate should do that or anything, just musing.

Either way, evening is not some special time that makes the daycare not an S7 expense.

Comment

Not every dad is banging their drum for time with their kids. Some dads actually argue FOR eow and less time. Kate said her ex won’t take the kids any extra nights to help out. Shes actually fighting FOR him to have more time and USE his time.

Comment

We do not have an agreement yet, just a court order for access and cs, (still no splitting the holidays, which frustrates me, but that's another topic),

It would be ideal if you would take them overnights on my school nights, what an easy morning I would have the next day as a bonus!

Yes Rockscan is correct. I'm currently losing the battle of ever getting a fairer access schedule.

Thanks for all your input!

Comment

Babysitter - Night School

Your posts at #4 and #5 were directly related to dads being available and how you would fight the expense as you have right of first refusal. I was pointing out that while you and other dads may have a different view, not all are like you. Nothing about that was dad bashing. MANY people don’t want to be parents. Kates ex does not want the kids extra time and she now has to upgrade for work. It is a simple answer. Daycare for work is an automatic s7 in the guidelines. If her ex does not want to take the kids and she has to do this for work then she has a case for his portion of the expense. She is currently in litigation therefore she can add it to the discussion.

If you don’t want people to bash you, try not to slam single moms in your posts. Examples of how to avoid negative language include:

• In my case I have a right of first refusal therefore daycare is not an expense.

• I fought to have the children extra time therefore daycare is not a s7 expense.

• Its unfortunate your ex does not want to help however he may fight to avoid daycare if it is not in your agreement.

Kate, you may also need to talk to your lawyer about the “net cost” calculation. Teenage babysitters at night don’t usually give receipts therefore you may not be able to claim it on your taxes. If so, the s7 calculation does not have a “net of benefits”.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
            Kate, you may also need to talk to your lawyer about the “net cost” calculation. Teenage babysitters at night don’t usually give receipts therefore you may not be able to claim it on your taxes. If so, the s7 calculation does not have a “net of benefits”.
            Rockscan, I cant use a teenager I need someone qualified in their special needs. The babysitter I have is $24 an hour and gives receipts, and that is the current rate. I cant afford that right now on my own. Grandma is currently doing it, but its simply getting too much for her.

I could use respite funds to cover some of the costs, but if I dont get some help over the school holidays, I will lose my mind, so I am stretching out those funds.

Thanks again for your advice, much appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by kate331 View Post
              I recently accepted a new job that requires I upgrade my skills via night school. My ex wont take the kids any extra nights. Is a babysitter a section 7 expense during the evening if its required for work? Grandma's doing it in the meantime, but its getting too much for her.
              Yes.

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/970391#BK9

Special or extraordinary expenses

(a) child care expenses incurred as a result of the custodial parent’s employment, illness, disability or education or training for employment;

Comment

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
                Thanks dad2bandm, the money I have saved using this site instead of asking my lawyer is invaluable.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X