Trial Day 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial Day 4

I haven't posted previously, but have read numerous posts in the last few years while my husband and I have been reopening his custody case and now trial.
    Overview: amazing almost 6 yr old daugher as a result of a brief, casual relationship in 2008. When she was 5 mos old, the mother took her and returned to her home town 1.5 hrs away.
    Multiple concerns re: violation of my now husband's access (supposed to be joint custody and child residing with mom), mental health (not taking meds as ordered for Bipolar type 2) and substance abuse (Oxy, alcohol).
    We were able to re-open due to her conviction of drug trafficking 2 yrs ago.
    This child, although suffering from anxiety and lack of school attendance issues (mom was tired, so couldn't take her to school for 47 days) is amazing, hard to believe she's a product of this woman. Anyway, as I have been the step parent and supportive spouse of this man trying to get his daughter away from someone who isn't coping (CAS has been involved multiple times on her end), I just wanted to give the dads on here (or moms dealing with substance/mental health/custody issues) on here some hope. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Fingers crossed the judge doesn't want to give mom yet another chance simply because she has a uterus. As a previously divorced mom, while my ex husband and I certainly aren't best friends, and there's been some animosity over the years, we both always had open access /involvement with our kids, and I have watched, in shock, over how the system treats fathers, even those with no criminality. Good luck to all. Positive thoughts for tomorrow (hopefully the last day). Apparently only 3% of family law cases go to trial. We were "lucky" enough to be in that 3%, despite CAS and OCL already stating their multiple concerns re: mom retaining custody.

I didn't see an option to edit (there may be one, but am tired lol), but just wanted to add, in spite of 2 different lawyers over last 5.5 yrs we are now self represented if that helps anyone. Can't afford any more legal help after $27 K in legal fees in last 5 yrs, not counting all our unpaid days off, gas, food, to travel to court 2 hrs drive away. It CAN be done (we both work full time in demanding jobs). The only reason I'm posting is to give even a small amount of hope to those who need it.

Comment

The option to edit is time limited.

Comment

Thank you for your heart felt message. It can be done, I myself went to trial and our children were granted with equal shared parenting.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X