Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ex husband changed the locks on my home the day i moved out, i knew he was wrong for doing so, (was both owners of the home) but i am the one that left and took what was mine. I felt, i am the one that left so why go back and be demanding of things.
    Even when it was still my house, i still asked permission to go back in the home, (for my daughter still lives there to finish school.) I still respected him enough to give him his privacy and respect to not to go into the house without his knowledge and consent.

Comment

he is right to change the locks, remember you moved out so you do not live there.

Comment

Considering the circumstances, Which law is breached if locks were changed and what would be potential ramifications...

Comment

Originally posted by Max22258 View Post
          he is right to change the locks, remember you moved out so you do not live there.
          Thank you! My point exactly for this whole thread........the Girlfriend moved out,,,,,so my bf has the right to change the locks!

Comment

That was not proper legal advice. It has been stated before that you can't change the locks without providing a key to every person who is on title!

Comment

there is a nuance as this is a separation and one has chosen to moved out, of course the house belong to both but he will not be held accountable for changing the lock. The proper course of action would be to settle this throught the court while imposing a restraining order against the other party to restrict access to the property until it is settle. Most of the time this is settle by buying back your half but having the other one come in as they please I will say that this is not as legal as you think and harrasment may be file.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X