Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law > Common Law Issues

Common Law Issues The law regarding common law relationships is different than in cases of divorce. Discuss the issues that affect unmarried couples here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 PM

justsayno is on a distinguished road
Default Preemptive strike (adult interdependent partnership agreement)

So if you didn't want to have to worry about becoming common law with someone and them taking your stuff, couldn't you just sign an adult interdependent partnership agreement with one of your parents (assuming they aren't married)? If I read the "adult interdependent partnership" details correctly, you can only have one "adult interdependent partner", and it can be a friend or family member.

This seems like a stupid law to me (the adult interdependent partnership), but at least it seems like you can make a preemptive strike to keep gold diggers away from your cash, while still enjoying the benefits of shacking up.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:30 PM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

So, what exactly are you trying to avoid? Please, come up with a detailed, realistic (no movie stars) hypothetical example for us to discuss.

It seems you are in Alberta, so I'm not sure if you will get a lot of informed/experience-based responses from this forum...

Last edited by dinkyface; 04-27-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 PM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

If both people aremaking similar dollars, no big issue.

If one is making 3-5 times more, it could bite you on the ass after 3 years.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:51 AM

dinkyface will become famous soon enough

Are you concerned about having to pay spousal support? Or about having to give away 50% of a house that you bought prior to your relationship (or a house that you bought solely with your own dollars during your relationship)?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 PM

logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Confusing and not clear as to your jurisdiction. However, in Ontario the Family Law Act provides for Cohabitation Agreements. Perhaps similar relief is provided in your location.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

He is Alberta and they have these strange adult interdependent partnerships, which I think replace common law relationships, with an odd twist, you can have them between room-mates, adult children and parents, brother and sister, etc. It makes sense in a way, but it is scary if it kicks in automaticly after a few years with a room-mate.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:26 PM

justsayno is on a distinguished road

I'm a she. And I do have a paid off house that I own. I've never lived with anyone before. And I don't like how you can get trapped into this common law BS without consent. (With roommates even, it sounds like - you don't have to be banging the person in the "adult interdependent partnership" with you.)
Old 05-09-2010, 05:43 PM

blinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the roughblinkandimgone is a jewel in the rough

Classy.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 PM

dadtotheend will become famous soon enoughdadtotheend will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsayno View Post
I'm a she. And I do have a paid off house that I own. I've never lived with anyone before. And I don't like how you can get trapped into this common law BS without consent. (With roommates even, it sounds like - you don't have to be banging the person in the "adult interdependent partnership" with you.)
You still haven't laid out your specific concerns, even after being asked. Instead you almost make your questions more confusing.

Good thing you're a she. If a he talked about banging someone here, you can bet he would hear about it.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM

piggybanktoex is on a distinguished road

I would imagine that the fear would be having to fork out support payments to someone who is no longer "banging" you.

The whole screwed up law concerning the concept of need, want, entitlement, and paying for others is beyond belief.

I would be worried too about getting myself into that situation ever again.

And you don't need to be a movie star to get financially messed up for life.
Closed Thread