Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

New posts


  Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Rao Agnihotri Rao Agnihotri is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 37
Rao Agnihotri is on a distinguished road
Default Getting your file from lawyer

Hello Guys,

I need to find that do I have a legal right to get my file from my lawyer either it is a criminial or divorce case, after the case is closed. Or the lawyer always keep the file.

I wanted to get my file from my lawyer as one of the case is closed and I don't have another lawyer to transfer my file. All I wanted to do is keep the file in my record, so that in future if I have to consult another lawyer then I don't have to pay fee my lawyer again to give the new lawyer the file.

What is the best way to approach a lawyer to ask for the file.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Mess Mess is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,448
Mess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the roughMess is a jewel in the rough

Just ask for your file, as long as your bill is fully paid it should be no problem.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
quizer quizer is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 25
quizer is on a distinguished road

Your lawyer has to give you the file.As long as you paid her/him your account in full.They can remove certain notes and refferences that they made to build your defence.I had mine returned to me with no problem.It is your property.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 AM
logicalvelocity logicalvelocity is offline
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,943
logicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura aboutlogicalvelocity has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Yahoo to logicalvelocity

Fortunately, true copy of the civil matter is kept at the held court by way of Continuing Record.

For the criminal matter - A file is available with respect to the information where the count was heard and Judicial endorsements. Because of Undertaking--Crown Brief, Disclosure and additional notes in defense would be lacking.

On written requests, the true copy of the files should be released by the lawyers on record for both matters. You do reserve a right of complaint under
professional conduct with Upper Canada.
Closed Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting file from lawyer tugofwar Divorce & Family Law 1 04-08-2011 10:25 AM
Ditching Lawyer to Represent Myself Rhonda&Kids Divorce & Family Law 8 02-28-2010 12:33 PM
Inexpensive lawyer to file divorce? canadienfan Divorce & Family Law 1 01-26-2010 03:14 PM
Lawyer out of town? What to do? Edward Divorce & Family Law 2 10-20-2009 08:46 AM
What to do with my case? independentgal Divorce & Family Law 6 04-17-2008 05:30 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 AM.