Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:21 PM

thistoshallpass is on a distinguished road
Default Changing Lawyers

Wondering if anyone has experienced a similar circumstance. My friend was just informed that her ex is changing lawyers. Apparently without the knowledge of lawyer that has been dealing with case. At case conference ex had been given recommendations by the Judge, and advised that any colleague hearing this case would come to the same conclusions. Ex has ignored all of the recommendations. It is my friends feeling that his lawyer probably told him that he should comply. How detrimental is this to the case.
I have heard it quoted that “changing lawyers mid case is like changing deck chairs on the Titanic”
Old 06-19-2009, 06:52 PM

Suchislife is on a distinguished road

Personal opinion but.... your friend is probably right in the fact that her Ex probably thinks a different lawyer will change the results.

If a Judge makes claims about an outcome it's usually what would happen.

The detriment to the case is the delay while the new lawyer gets up to speed.

It's silly really because unless you think the lawyer is doing a BAD job you need to pay another retainer, pay the new lawyer to reads the files etc...
Your friends Ex is taking a step backwards.
Your friend will just have to wait it out.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:50 PM

sufferer is on a distinguished road

Changing a lawyer is damnexpensive and in my opinion a complete foolishness.
And I do echo with Suchislife some people think changing lawyer will change the result.
My ex changed/fired four lawyers in one year and finally was self represented.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:57 PM

thistoshallpass is on a distinguished road

This is anything but a high profile case, there are no assets, he has liberal access and holiday time. This went to court Nov last year, although they had been separated from Feb. He put up all kinds of road block to stop my friend getting a court order for support. Canceled court dates , did not respond when other dated were offered. All these month and still no closer to getting a court order. It was agreed on when they married 9 yrs ago that she should stay home and raise the kids. She had 2 daughters 4 & 8 from a former marriage, he insisted that he would raise them as his own, they had 2 bio children boys now 2 & 8. He has made upwards of $82K the past 3 yrs. Bottom line he does not want to pay CS for the step children or pay SS. First few months he did pay guideline amount $1200 for boys, when he felt like it. Early this year his company went on short time, he arbitrarily cut the guideline amount back to $800, and again missed weeks between payments.
Changing lawyers has to be another stall tactic. On doing a bit of digging, and found that if there is no settlement reached at first case conference. The case conference briefs are removed from the court file and the judge who heard the case conference is ineligible to hear a motion in the same case. I am sure that he will be unwilling to share with his new lawyer, the recommendations made at the case conference, hoping she can get him a better outcome than the judge had recommended.
Sad, that this man is willing to pay out thousands of $ for a new lawyer. When my friend now raising four kid’s on her own has had to visit a food bank to put food on the table.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:50 AM

Anka is on a distinguished road

I don't think that always changing the lawyer is bad think. What if your lawyer doesn’t tell you all your rights, or always is so busy with other cases to talk with you when you need lawyer’s advice? fficeffice" />>>
Closed Thread