Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Financial Issues

Financial Issues This forum is for discussing any of the financial issues involved in your divorce.

Old 01-03-2020, 05:16 PM

Karma2016 is on a distinguished road
Default Imputing Income to Homemaker

I have done only a small amount of research but cannot find anything that specifically addresses my question.

After being married 23 years, a homemaker for 18 years, and separated at 50, is it possible income could be imputed at minimum wage part-time? Or is it always a full-time minimum wage imputation?

My administrative assistant skills from my previous life are outdated and I need upgrading. I have been working in retail parttime. I live in a city with the 3rd highest unemployment rate. Decent jobs are scarce.

P.S. my Wasband is a lawyer.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:28 AM

ifonlyihadknown is on a distinguished road

Since no one else has replied...

Is there a reason why you can't work full time? If not, it seems reasonable to me to impute a full-time minimum wage salary.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:10 AM

Arthritic back and fingers. Getting worse by the year. The part time job I have now is standing on my feet 4-7 hours and it is excruciating by the end of the day on my back. A clerical position would be better-suited, but because I have not worked in an office setting for 21 years (since before the Internet in offices), and my skills need updating, I am just wondering if a part time minimum wage job has ever been imputed because realistically that is all that is available to me.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:44 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Lots of jobs you could look at doing and retraining/upgrading certainly feasible if you are only 50. You can take night courses on computer basics for low cost. Also check out resources for woman re-entering workforce.

Minimum wage full time is quite normal. You can try to negotiate less or possibly a step-down process wherein year 1 you have no imputed income; year 2 you have 75% minimum wage imputed income; year 3 100% imputed income (or whatever you feel is fair).

Gone are days where you can sit back and do nothing (unless you were married to a very wealthy individual and had a uber rich lifestyle). Besides, you will most likely feel better about yourself if/when you find something to do with your day... meet new people, etc. Self-esteem can be the most rewarding thing of all after a long marriage and divorce.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:19 PM

Tayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant futureTayken has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabian View Post
Gone are days where you can sit back and do nothing (unless you were married to a very wealthy individual and had a uber rich lifestyle).
But the "wasband" is a lawyer.

Not sure if it "my CURRENT husband" or "my EX-husband". Sways the recommendations significantly based on the condition of the statement.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:36 AM

Thanks. Trust me I donít sit back and do nothing and I feel just fine about myself. Except my arthritis. That sucks. And my soon to be ex husband is a lawyer who has managed to successfully drag this separation process out for 4 years now. It took over 3 years for him to provide all his financial disclosure. My forensic accountant just finished her report last week and after paying her $15,000 to do so, I am anxious to see it. By the way Iím 54 now (55 this year) and we were married 23 years.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:04 PM

ross_toronto is on a distinguished road

How close are you to rule of 65 rough guideline?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:20 PM

paris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross_toronto View Post
How close are you to rule of 65 rough guideline?
She said married 23 years and separated at age 50. So above the 65 rule.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:24 PM

Yes. Above the 65 rule. Married 23 years, separated when I was 50. Now Iím 54.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:47 PM

ross_toronto is on a distinguished road

So you would possibly have long term spousal offset by a minimum wage inputation... is that what your lawyer thinks?