Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:32 PM

Serene is on a distinguished road

WorkingDad - I will ensure I post with the link. Sorry!

The issues surrounding the child are very similar.

For instance: The respondent focused on the child, and his very specific concerns about the child's past and future. The mother continuously said that the child should not spend time with the father, painted dad as an individual reluctant to spend time with his child and shirked his financial responsibilities, etc.

One point that is eerily similar is saying that dad didn't attend certain things like medical appointments. Yet mom didn't tell him when they were. In fact, she intentionally did NOT apprise him of these dates to ensure that he could not attend...

And the whole issues surrounding the "status quo". Specifically, that the status quo should not be maintained if it were not in the best interests of the child. Paras 485 and 486 sum it up nicely.

Para 496 also is applicable.

He did represent himself but I meant to draw the parrelell to the facts of the case. She also wrote emotionally charged and negative emails and that cast her in a very bad light. We have hundreds, and I mean hundreds of emails that would make your head spin. Normal and intelligent people don't write that stuff down! Really, they might say it on the phone if they had a weak moment, but they wouldn't dare incriminate themselves so often in emails with this stuff. And we aren't talking about petty little things, we are talking about absolute disregard for the law, the children, etc. The emails show no morals or values so to speak...Again, this is how we overcame the allegations with CAS in an instant....
Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 PM

WorkingDAD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serene View Post
WorkingDad - I will ensure I post with the link. Sorry!

The issues surrounding the child are very similar.

For instance: The respondent focused on the child, and his very specific concerns about the child's past and future. The mother continuously said that the child should not spend time with the father, painted dad as an individual reluctant to spend time with his child and shirked his financial responsibilities, etc.

One point that is eerily similar is saying that dad didn't attend certain things like medical appointments. Yet mom didn't tell him when they were. In fact, she intentionally did NOT apprise him of these dates to ensure that he could not attend...

And the whole issues surrounding the "status quo". Specifically, that the status quo should not be maintained if it were not in the best interests of the child. Paras 485 and 486 sum it up nicely.

Para 496 also is applicable.

He did represent himself but I meant to draw the parrelell to the facts of the case. She also wrote emotionally charged and negative emails and that cast her in a very bad light. We have hundreds, and I mean hundreds of emails that would make your head spin. Normal and intelligent people don't write that stuff down! Really, they might say it on the phone if they had a weak moment, but they wouldn't dare incriminate themselves so often in emails with this stuff. And we aren't talking about petty little things, we are talking about absolute disregard for the law, the children, etc. The emails show no morals or values so to speak...Again, this is how we overcame the allegations with CAS in an instant....
So are you going to represent Dad during the trial ?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:10 AM

firhill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingDAD View Post
I was under impression that in that case Dad did all research and preparation for the trial himself (including posting and asking questions on forum).
WD
You're turning into Jimmy!

Apologies for the derailment, but it was all I could think of after reading your reply.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

It would have been an even bigger cake-walk for me if my ex's g/f had represented him in court.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Serene is on a distinguished road

No, I think he will represent himself.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:39 AM

arabian will become famous soon enough

That's good. A lawyer is an "officer of the court" and when presenting arguments the judge can safely assume that the lawyer is presenting evidence and arguments in conjunction with the rules of court. A person who self-represents is generally treated respectfully by the judge if the facts are presented properly and rules of court adhered to. Those who self-represent successfully are adept at presenting fact-based evidence, have researched the court process and respect the court rules.

When my ex brought the g/f to court with him one time, requesting she sit beside him (when he did an unsuccessful stint of self-representation). The judge calmly said "no" and went on to say that he had filed the motion and should know his issues well enough without coaching. My ex looked pretty stupid and "whipped." It didn't bode well for him. As expected, his motion was dismissed.

Tags
advice, offers to settle, self representation