Getting SIN copy- other parent refuses to give it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dad2bandm View Post
    FYI, sounds like you already have this planned, and perhaps the RESP stuff, was even outlined in some agreement or order...?

But, personally, I would not contribute to a JOINT RESP. Nothing stops you from opening your own RESP, for your child, and making your contributions there. (not wanting to rock the boat...)
    sorry- I missed this. Yes- it's a joint RESP. It was part of our settlement- instead of arguing about how much he owed me in equalization- I agreed to a lesser amount to be put entirely into an RESP for our daughter. I should've insisted it be in my name. But meh- it's fine. With the CST account- no changes can be made without both of our signatures, and in person.

I would have my own RESP for her- IF I had her SIN. Which- and this is my fault as I have all her papers together in a folder- I didn't realize I was missing. I've been putting aside her dad's CS for her for the last year. With the thought of putting it into an RESP. But now...I dunno. I only have $12.5K contribution limit. I think I might open another mutual fund savings account for her. I have to do some research.

Comment

This thread got me thinking (sorry I will try to hijack this as little as possible)

When our daughter was born my ex’s father and stepmom opened an RESP for her. I vaguely remember filling out some paperwork. I also remember the stipulation they made for this account was that it was to remain in my/their control (his dad/stepmom told me outright that they didn’t 100% trust him- oh heeeeyyyy red flags!)
      They have moved away since our split and I have no clue how to get in touch with them. How would I go about finding out if this RESP still exists?

Comment

Do they not talk to their grandkids?

Do you have paperwork?

I would attempt to reach out to them and/or the financial advisor/bank. They would have to either give the kids the grant money or return it to the govt.

If they were talking to their son, they could give it to him for his portion but need proof of enrollment to withdraw anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Selfrepmom View Post
          This thread got me thinking (sorry I will try to hijack this as little as possible)

When our daughter was born my ex’s father and stepmom opened an RESP for her. I vaguely remember filling out some paperwork. I also remember the stipulation they made for this account was that it was to remain in my/their control (his dad/stepmom told me outright that they didn’t 100% trust him- oh heeeeyyyy red flags!)

They have moved away since our split and I have no clue how to get in touch with them. How would I go about finding out if this RESP still exists?

Hijack away.

I think CRA also keeps track of this. I bet you could find out from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a grandparent open an RESP and put everything in there. Easiest solution. As for the SIN number. You can request a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tayken View Post
              Have a grandparent open an RESP and put everything in there. Easiest solution. As for the SIN number. You can request a copy.
              Which grandparent? His mom? Is old and would definitely drain the RESP, because his sister has POA over her affairs and she (his sister) helped him fuck me over financially (they're both accountants).

My parents? He would never allow that.

If you request a copy- they'll ask you why. If you say it was lost- they issue a new one.

I took rocksan's advice and let him know if I don't have the letter or a copy of it before the week's end. I'll report the number as missing next week.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                My parents? He would never allow that.
                Assuming one has the SIN of a child, why would a grandparent need approval of the ex? Isn't it totally the grandparents' discretion?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by seeker101 View Post
                  Assuming one has the SIN of a child, why would a grandparent need approval of the ex? Isn't it totally the grandparents' discretion?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
                  the issue is that the money to be transferred to the RESP from the sale of the matrimonial home is significant- and the goal is to not have the RESP drained by either party, or through their respective parents.

We only had 3 choices:

1. Agree on an alternate RESP through a bank (and only one person could be the subscriber)

2. Go with the CST

3. Go back to court for clarification

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                    Tell him to provide you with either the email he sent to his RESP rep or permission to contact that rep for the number.

If he refuses, tell him you expect to receive a copy of the letter within 24 hours or you will be calling to report it missing and requesting a new one which will impact his RESP if he has one.

Also, as soon as you get it, open your own damn RESP to get the grant money. If he has opened his own he has gotten the grant money from the govt.
                    Thanks Rocksan- this is exactly what I did. I don't like pulling the ultimatum card. But I did it.

I told him if I didn't have it by the next exchange I would report it lost. He said then he wanted her notarized birth certificate copy before he would exchange. So I said "sure".

And it was done.

Comment

Originally posted by iona6656 View Post
                      Thanks Rocksan- this is exactly what I did. I don't like pulling the ultimatum card. But I did it.

I told him if I didn't have it by the next exchange I would report it lost. He said then he wanted her notarized birth certificate copy before he would exchange. So I said "sure".

And it was done.

He found it?

Comment

Getting SIN copy- other parent refuses to give it

Yep. But of course he demanded a copy of the birth certificate before he’d give it to me. So sure. I had it ready to go. I was going to send it to his lawyer, but now I’ve fulfilled that obligation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                        Working...
                        X