X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Husband asking me not to come home

Hi,
    I am staying in edmonton at present on job and my husband is in calgary.
    I came to canada in october 2008 and landed on a job in november 2008 in edmonton.
    I am now trying to move back to calgary on a job there, but my husband is asking me not to come home. he came to edmonton and said that he wants to divorce me and said that even if i get a job in calgary i should be staying separately.
    In our 1.5 years of marriage we had been together only for 2.5 months
    1 month during the initial marriage and 1.5 month when i came to calgary from my country
    in that 1.5 month i was with him i became pregnant and my husband convinced me for an abortion saying that we need to work on the marriage and i went thru the abortion on his words.
    now he is saying that there was no chemistry from day 0 of our marriage. inspite of talking to him for 8 months before my marriage he is saying this.

He is not even giving any written communication that the chemistry is not working out from day 1 . he is telling only verbally and manipulates his words to his family members.
    When my parents are asking him to confirm his verbal communications he replies that he doesnt want to deal with my parents and he says that he will only communicate with me. If i mail him i dont get any response for the mails. he says that "what makes you(me) think that i will reply to you?"

I feel duped, dumped and I feel very low emotionally....

Any help and advice is highly appreciated....
    <!-- / message --> <!-- edit note --> <hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" size="1">

That is sad.
    Did he sponsor your immigration to Canada?
    What are your specific questions?
    FN

Comment

He sponsored my PR, but i dont mind going back to my own country also if he withdraws his sponsorship.
      i would like to get replies to my emails...but i cant force him to reply..how can i get in writing that he is the one opting for divorce
      even though i am willing to make this marriage work, he is lest interested and is determined to go for a divorce...
      i feel what he is doing to me is injustice...
      i would like to know what options i have here..whom i can approach for justice...he seems to have planned everything well ahead
      if he is not letting me stay in his house before he has filled for divorce, can i complain on him to any place...

Comment

Hi There

No matter which country you belong too,if he sponsored you he is obligated to support you for 3 years.(since you are working you can support yourself) and he can't just withdraw your PR.If ypu like Canada and want to be here you have a right.If there is any property involved (irrespective of how long you lived together)being his legal wife you are entitled to half of it

Comment

First of all determine what is it that you are looking for. If you think your marriage is workable and you want him back then focus on that. If you want money and support etc then go to the court. To me you don't have any claims because you two barely lived together in the house and you are already self supporting now. I know general perception is that matrimonial home is half and half but I have seen a friend who got nothing. She was in similar situation as you and was sponsored to this country. She lived together with him for 1 year and then left him. All she got was child support - no spousal support no equalization. The husband was settled in Canada for last 40 years. He had worked hard all those years to build those assets and the judge didn't think the wife deserved anything out of that after just one year of living together. A friend of my friend with similar story, the wife got only 30 percent after several years of living together. My own case I offered my ex full net realizable value of all our asset just to help her get back on her feet. She thought I was taking advantage of her and went to court. In the end I was left with nothing and huge debt loads and she got a laughable amount after paying back to legal aid.

I am not discouraging you but you may want to read some more of the horror stories on this forum before going to the court. Try to find another way to resolve the issues first - any other way is better than the court.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
          Working...
          X