Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• signing legal documents

On behalf of another poster:

Can a lawyer sign their client's name on court documemts, for example having signed the documents "J. smith" (quotes included in signature on documents)

Is this legal if the actual person never signed the documents themselves?

When I was out of the province my signature was required on documents. I had to go to a lawyer in the other province (pay 150.00) and have each and every page of the document witnesses and stamped with lawyer's seal and then have the document couriered to my lawyer. The lawyer also faxed a copy of the document to my lawyer in Alberta.

Comment

Originally posted by blinkandimgone View Post
      On behalf of another poster:

Can a lawyer sign their client's name on court documemts, for example having signed the documents "J. smith" (quotes included in signature on documents)

Is this legal if the actual person never signed the documents themselves?
      I'm pretty sure it's not. If you sign someone else's name without making it clear that you are not the person whose name you are signing, it's fraud or impersonation or some bad thing. So if lawyer James Brown signs on behalf of client Mick Jagger, it's okay to sign "J Brown for M Jagger", but James Brown can't just sign "M Jagger", because he is not in fact Mick Jagger.

(This came up as an issue when my ex made some changes in our court documents and signed my initials next to them without telling me - superficially, this wasn't a big deal as the changes he made were minor and uncontroversial, but the fact that he "impersonated" me to do so was a big deal, and got the documents tossed out by a judge. And I was plenty ticked off).

Comment

Unless you've given your lawyer 'power of attorney', but even then, they'd have to sign their own name, with an indication they are signing as your POA. Otherwise, it's fraud.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X