Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > General Chat

General Chat This forum is for discussing anything that doesn't fit into another forum, or for discussing things that are off topic, or just for general venting.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:34 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Contacting the media is not a good idea. The reasons are as follows:

1. The media exploit these stories in an effort to sell their organizations. They will extort your friend to their own benefit. It will not be unbiased.

2. If it goes to the media there will be backlash and that could impact your friend. Being anonymous in these types of situations is good. He will label himself a problem maker.

3. Holding anyone accountable after the media story will be impossible because the hospital will go into full on public relations mode and they will cover their asses.

These situations get escalated quickly and as others have said, when you resist you open yourself up to a lot of different scenarios. From the hospital perspective they have someone with suicidal thoughts who also thinks of harming others. Iím not saying they were right, Iím saying they were following protocol and depending on his resistance, may have used force for compliance.

There are power hungry individuals in positions of security and enforcement but they are also bound by specific protocols and rules. While they may have used excessive force, they are obligated to protect staff and other individuals. He should follow through on the complaint but know that there isnít much he can do when he admitted thoughts of harm to others and resisted security. Going to the media isnít going to help. In fact it could make it much worse.

He could also try his provincial ombudsman as hospitals are provincially funded.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:55 PM

arabian will become famous soon enough

Alberta Hospital Edmonton is specifically an institution that deals with people with severe mental issues. He likely is a patient (would explain why he went there instead of the Royal Alexandra Hospital).

The hospital has an ombudsman process and he is correct in going that route. Often patients experience terrible side-effects of new medications and have intense hallucinations and other side-effects.

There are highly-trained specialized staff at that facility.

My recommendation is to let the staff and his doctor help him.

I would add: many years ago my best friend sadly was diagnosed and treated at the facility. On one of the trips in the little white van to the hospital she swore that she had a very good conversation with an international pop star. It is very difficult to watch a good friend go through mental illness.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:56 PM

The-Iceberg is an unknown quantity at this point

He sent me his complaint copy that he emailed to wherever it was supposed to go. When you read it it does sound scary.

My guess is the best he can do is "paint' the hospital by spreading his story. His wish is to get those security fired and apology but I highly doubt it.

Media works for themselves only. They do not care about no one but a good story.

It would be nice to get the camera tape from the room before it gets lost.

He just texted me he is going to see a doc because jaw pain is too bad. Also called his shrink to see him sooner because didn't catch any sleep since it happened.

too complicated for me
Old 11-14-2018, 04:57 PM

arabian he lives in Lakewood so Grey nuns is closest. What can an ombudsman do?
Old 11-14-2018, 05:00 PM

The best thing you can do is advise your friend to make and KEEP his appointment and to continue taking his meds (likely went off of them as side-effects are not pleasant).

People with severe mental illness need compassion but beware that you have your life and enough of your own problems without taking on his. Don't get sucked into his drama or his likely incessant phone calls/texts. I've been where you are.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Iceberg View Post
arabian he lives in Lakewood so Grey nuns is closest. What can an ombudsman do?
then why was he all the way out at Alberta Hospital?

Many of the psychiatrists work out of Grey Nuns.

Ombudsman will do an investigation. People will be interviewed and a formal hearing may be scheduled. You likely won't know the outcome as patient privacy is paramount with AHS. Rest assured, there are many people who oversee the facility.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:15 PM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

If it was a mental hospital then his shame campaign will go nowhere. He will be labeled crazy.

Tell him to file his report, take his meds, see his doc and bring a friend with him the next time he needs an er.

He likely needs an advocate with him when in this type of situation.

Arabian is right, provide him with an ear and encourage him to move on without getting sucked in.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 PM

It was a misunderstanding Arabian. It happened at the Grey Nuns.

Anyway, when I was him Sunday night he was all swollen on his left side of the face. There is a walnut sized bruise on his neck. Couple more bruises on his body. All from the hospital. But his mental scars are what worries me. I worry he can hurt himself because as he puts it "I went to get help for depression they tortured me mentally and physically". Pretty sad.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:30 PM

Grey Nuns has high security in place with LOTS of cameras everywhere... from the emergency vehicle entrance to every hallway in the Emergency Department (which is on the main floor). Walking into the ER requires someone to walk through a scanner I believe. If your friend was aggressive then he very well may have been restrained (you mentioned there were more than 1 security?). Restraining can most definitely result in bruising, depending upon how out-of-control the patient is. The allegation that guards took him into some out-of-the-way location to beat him up is not plausible to me.

Your friend (and as rockscan wisely suggested) and advocate could contact the Director of Nursing to expedite the complaint. You would be well-advised to step back from this though... do you know for certain that the bruising occurred at the hospital or are you merely going by what your friend told you? Sometimes psychotic patients have to be restrained so they don't hurt themselves. This can often result in bruising.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 PM

I certainly cannot vouch for him but his relative confirmed what he said. He is not psychotic. How would be hand out then? He would rarely get an a attack if he saw a car crash, then got one when he was attacked on White Avenue.

He took an ambulance to ER and the rest happened inside. I speak to him every day. He said to told a nurse "I am getting thoughts of hitting someone and hurting myself, please help me". Prior to that at registration he said anything but a small locked room due to his condition.

He could have lied and said never mentioned hurting people. He is not like that.

All I know is that if they were going to restrain him to have a security sit with him or find another solution. After all they kicked his butt instead of give him medical help. And talking out-of-control patients, he said, they grabbed him while he was asking for his cellphone.