Ottawa Divorce .com Forums

User CP

Advertising

Ottawa Divorce .com Forums > Main Category > Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law This forum is for discussing any of the legal issues involved in your divorce.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Hand of Justice

Links17 is on a distinguished road

They can put the dogs on auction and them as the only 2 bidders and whoever wins the auction pays the other one to gives the money to the SPCA. DONE!
Old 10-02-2014, 01:34 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

My pups are like my children, no kidding I would go to court over them and almost had to. Crazy Ex who never did want them in the first place - actually attempted to take them from me out of spite!

Luckily I have vet bills in my name and since I raise them as a side-business, Ex had no claim on them! Had he persisted in trying to get them he would have had WW3 on his hands .... just thinking about this has me sitting here with steam coming out of my ears !

Pets are considered as private property and on a legal basis, if you can prove ownership of them that's it. If they are pure-breeds you will have the papers to prove their yours. If they're mongrels, all you need is proof of purchase.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:50 AM

Berner_Faith will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janibel View Post
My pups are like my children, no kidding I would go to court over them and almost had to. Crazy Ex who never did want them in the first place - actually attempted to take them from me out of spite!

Luckily I have vet bills in my name and since I raise them as a side-business, Ex had no claim on them! Had he persisted in trying to get them he would have had WW3 on his hands .... just thinking about this has me sitting here with steam coming out of my ears !

Pets are considered as private property and on a legal basis, if you can prove ownership of them that's it. If they are pure-breeds you will have the papers to prove their yours. If they're mongrels, all you need is proof of purchase.
That's understandable but when they are purchased together and most time if the breeders are unregistered you don't get a receipt or a contract. Sometimes you do, but in this case they didn't receive a receipt.

I agree my pets are like my children, all our dogs are registered and vet bills are in both mine and my fiancÚ's name. One dogs chip is registered to me, one to him and one is jointly registered and the fourth is registered chip to me and my mother. So how do you split up the jointly registered dogs?

In this case Person A and Person B didn't have their dog chipped and the dog only went to the vet once a year or as required. In my opinion it's a silly thing to fight over. I guess if my fiancÚ was someone who didn't care for animals and wouldn't take care of them I would understand, but then again I would never be with someone who doesn't care for animals as they are a big part of my life and fostering and rescuing are my part time job.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

What Im getting is that person B is pissed they had to pay what was probably a high vet bill. Possibly also pissed that they think person A left the dogs with B primarily for that reason. Doesnt mean that B gets to keep them. Give them back and learn from it. Dont get suckered in again. Or next time pay half the vet bill up front and send person A back for the follow up to pay the bill.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM

Janibel will become famous soon enough

The owner of the dogs has to pay for the vet bills, regardless of where the dogs were living at the time. If they are co-owned then it's 50/50 for the costs.

Believe it or not I have medical insurance for my pups - it's just a matter of time before they invent some kind of doggy-court to cater to 4 legged litigants! My lawyer is a REAL bulldog!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 AM

rockscan will become famous soon enough

Ya but if B paid the bill upfront, good luck getting the money from A if they didnt want to pay it.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:00 AM

HammerDad will become famous soon enough

The pets belong to Person A. They are personal property. Should Person A take this to court they would win and win handily. Should Person A call the police, the police will attend Person B's house and cause the pets to be returned.

This is no different than having someone care for your car and notices the check engine light comes on. Person B does not own the car simply because they took it to the mechanic for a tune up.

Person B may have solid reason to request that Person A reimburse them for their expenses incurred in relation to the dogs. But Person A is likely within their rights to tell them to get bent, causing Person B to have to go to small claims court to recuperate their expenses.

There is also no guarantee Person B would win in small claims court. The weren't authorized to take the animals to the Vet. The owner didn't consent to incurring the bills. And unless there was need for immediate care, the trip to the vet could've waited until the owner returned at which time Person B could've suggested that Person A take them to the vet and why.

Person B is completely in the wrong. If they tried this with me and my dog, the cops would be banging at their door within minutes of their refusing to return her.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:01 AM

Beachnana is on a distinguished road

Obviously not part of family law, but can be part of a separation agreement. An acquaintance of mine has split ownership of a dog. She gets the dog every other week and they split the vet bills and both attend all vet visit. She has custody of her children and I swear she was more worried a out the dog then the children or rather he fought for the dog and agreed to her offer for the children!

In a breakup noone thinks rationally!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Straittohell is an unknown quantity at this point

Kind of sad that it is easier to get pets/property returned to you, than it is to get children returned.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:09 AM

mcdreamy is on a distinguished road

I'm with HammerDad, Person B is in the wrong and needs to return the dogs.

Quote:
My pups are like my children, no kidding I would go to court over them and almost had to.
Me too, Janibel! And in our household, it is fairly obvious to all on a daily basis that the dogs believe they are 100% mine as well (although one was picked by the kidlet and was to be her dog. Ha! I won't make that mistake again)