Things Lawyers Do That Annoy Judges -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things Lawyers Do That Annoy Judges -

Judgments of Justice Quinn have been posted here on the forum on several occasions, he has a direct and sometimes sarcastic approach to his rulings.

Although addressing the mannerisms of lawyers in his courtroom, I thought the attached memo might be of some benefit to our self-reppers. And, he makes me laugh.

http://www.oba.org/en/pdf/JudgesView.pdf

The linked memo was presented to the Ontario Bar Association in 2012 OBA.org - Home
    Last edited by mcdreamy; 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM.
    Start a discussion, not a fire. Post with kindness.

"a legal system without Family Court is like Christianity without Hell". LMAO!

Very interesting article, I will try my best to keep these pointers in mind when I go to trial this fall.
    No wonder judges make good money - it must be a very stressful work environment!

Comment

Thanks for posting. I enjoy Justice Quinn's writing style.

This article should be mandatory reading for all law students IMO.

Comment

My favorite quote is:

11. Strong language

[57] I am aware that family cases are emotionally charged. However, when in court, avoid strong language. Never refer to the submissions of opposing counsel, for example, as “ridiculous.” Instead, make use of your many years of university education and express your feelings with erudition by saying, “The argument of my friend lacks merit” or, if you are feeling particularly brutal, “The reasoning of my friend (37) is threadbare.” That sounds so much better; and, more in keeping with your $200-$600 per hour fees.

37 - You, no doubt, are aware of the traditional reference to opposing counsel as “my friend.” Do you know when to say, “My learned friend”? Where your opponent is a Queen’s Counsel.
        I also enjoyed that he wrote the paper in the same format he writes his decisions in.

Good Luck!
        Tayken

Comment

That was excellent!

Comment

Things Lawyers Do That Annoy Judges -

Interesting read! Enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing

Comment

This is going to be very helpful...anybody have links to some of Justice Quinn's rulings of family law matters, as mentioned by a poster up thread?

Comment

Originally posted by childfocused View Post
                This is going to be very helpful...anybody have links to some of Justice Quinn's rulings of family law matters, as mentioned by a poster up thread?
                Just search:

CanLII (Ontario)

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X