This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child support

I was just wondering if anyone knows a few things about child support.
    1. Is child support to be reviewed every year?
    2. If my ex's income decreases or increases does child support change, or does it stay the same as of the time we signed our agreement at the lawyers?
    3. What if my ex misses a payment or partial payment? What can I do?
    4. My ex and I have an agreement that we pay 50/50 on extracurricular activites what can I do if he doesn't pay for that (it is in our agreement at lawyers)?
    5. Ex pays me for child support weekly, cash is there a way I can get him just to deposit automatically from his account to mine so I know I do get it, without going back to the lawyers to do this?

Thanks for any replies to these questions!!

3 boys

Originally posted by 3 boys
    1. Is child support to be reviewed every year?
    It can be depending an any change in income for the support payer.

“2. If my ex's income decreases or increases does child support change, or does it stay the same as of the time we signed our agreement at the lawyers”
    Yes, child support is relative to income, for instance, my husbands ex does not even have to ask. We review his yearly total; if we are short I provide the balance with a copy of his T4. If he overpaid I adjust the next monthly amount by that amount, then adjust the monthly payments accordingly and again provide a copy of his T4.

3. What if my ex misses a payment or partial payment? What can I do?
    Your only recourse is to take it to court, get an order of arrears and if it is handled through the Family Responsibility Office, they will send garnishment to his employer for the arrears to be deducted in amounts allowable until the arrears are paid.

4. My ex and I have an agreement that we pay 50/50 on extracurricular activites what can I do if he doesn't pay for that (it is in our agreement at lawyers)?
    This too can be collected through the FRO. With the same garnishment of income. When we used the FRO, my husband's pay was garnished, not because he was in arrears but so we wouldn't have to deal with it at the time. The took the amount every month, no haste on our part.
    No different than seeing Union Dues deducted.

5. Ex pays me for child support weekly, cash is there a way I can get him just to deposit automatically from his account to mine so I know I do get it, without going back to the lawyers to do this?
    Yes. Set up an automatic debit from his account to yours similar to how you would authorize a bill payment as automatically deducted each month.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X