Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what downtown looks like today!

I was sent home from work today, city is declared a state of emergency.

100,000 residents evacuated from their homes. Downtown is pretty much a ghost town. Hospitals evacuating, transit not running, zoo closed, animals moved, major sports complex flooding. The news just showed someones house going down the river!

I am working in my basement today, watching the water level in my sump-pump rise and making sure it is draining.

Wow

Stay dry & safe!

Comment

Originally posted by frustratedwithex View Post

I was sent home from work today, city is declared a state of emergency.

100,000 residents evacuated from their homes. Downtown is pretty much a ghost town. Hospitals evacuating, transit not running, zoo closed, animals moved, major sports complex flooding. The news just showed someones house going down the river!

I am working in my basement today, watching the water level in my sump-pump rise and making sure it is draining.
      wow frustrated...thanks for the update...I've been checking CNN and all the other local newspapers (is the Ottawasun really a newspaper though?? :P) trying to find recent pics!!

wow, I feel for ya...good luck!!

what's the forecast looking like for the next couple of days??

Keep us updated...

Comment

Its still raining on and off. Yesterday afternoon they lifted the heavy rain warning, and 20 minutes later, pouring rain!! Not trusting the forecast yet, looking out my window to see what is happening, much more accurate.

Smaller communities outside the city hit very hard.

Here's a good one - zoo officials thinking of evacuating the "big cats" to the court house! They could be moved to holding cells at the court center if flooding conditions worsen.

Comment

you're kidding...throwing the animals in the courthouse?...Meh...I guess it's one in the same right?? :P

Comment

Military arriving at one of the hardest hit smaller communities. Police from other cities in the province also arriving to help out. Yeah, thank you!

I've lived here all my life, seen lots of rain, some flooding, but nothing like this, ever.

Comment

Saddledome flooded, Calgary Stampede in jeopardy | Canada | News | Ottawa Sun

not a bad vid...check it out

Comment

I've lived here all my life, seen lots of rain, some flooding, but nothing like this, ever.
                so where's it all coming from??...it's can't just be all rain...more than likely the snow melting from the mountains causing a big part of it, no??

Comment

Here's a good one - zoo officials thinking of evacuating the "big cats" to the court house! They could be moved to holding cells at the court center if flooding conditions worsen.

Comparable to throwing Daniel into the lion's den? But he continued to pray anyway and was freed the next day. It was his accusers that got thrown in next and died before they even reached the bottom of the pit.

Stay safe Fwe.

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathan View Post
                    you're kidding...throwing the animals in the courthouse?...Meh...I guess it's one in the same right?? :P

The link to the vid I posted states zoo officials deny putting the wildlife in the courthouse

Comment

The link to the vid I posted states zoo officials deny putting the wildlife in the courthouse
                      Considering, not done yet!

Comment

What would you say to someone who's house was completely flooded?

I will be meeting them for the first time in a couple of hours.

They have not been allowed back to see the extent of the damage, but I know from watching the news, their town is one of the hardest hit.

Comment

What would you say to someone who's house was completely flooded?

I will be meeting them for the first time in a couple of hours.

They have not been allowed back to see the extent of the damage, but I know from watching the news, their town is one of the hardest hit.

"aww man...is there anything I can do to help??...I mean other than financially (cuz I'm battling my ex right now in court and my lawyer is gouging me like crazy!!!)...I mean not too mention the SS and CS I may be looking at for the next 40 years...S**T guys..I'm so sorry about the house!!..If I could change scenerios with you I would....lets sit and consider that!!"

naw actually that would be kinda mean to say directly...

help out where you can and just be there for them emotionally, really...

good luck and keep us updated Frustrated>

Comment

"aww man...is there anything I can do to help??"
                            I've actually heard that a better thing than making a vague blanket offer is to just do something unasked. Asking people what you can do puts the onus on them, and many are overwhelmed and don't know what they need, and feel bad dictating something even if they did know. Simply bring over a casserole, or offer a hot shower, let them make long distance calls, or take the kids to the park so the adults can take a break from holding it together, etc, something specific that is appropriate to the situation. That way they can gracefully say "oh thank you!" or give you a "no thanks" if they really do not need/want that.

Offer sympathy if it's a situation you have experienced, or a generic "I can't imagine how awful this must feel" if you have no firsthand knowledge. Because unless you know, you don't.

Comment

Perhaps rent or reserve a uhaul for them. I would think that there will be a mad rush on any sort of storage containers in the weeks to come. People usually want to get back to homes and, depending upon how much damage there is, remove things they can before someone steals.

There will likely be thousands of people looking for some sort of storage in the coming weeks.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X