Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School Supplies and fundraising an extraordinary expense?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Supplies and fundraising an extraordinary expense?

In most schools where I live (winnipeg, mb) they ask parents to submit a "school supply fee" instead of parents going out to buy the school supplies. Would this be considered an extraordinary expense?

Also, sports clubs, schools and daycare often ask parents to fundraise. If you are unable to fundraise or if you chose not to, there is sometimes a fee involved. Would this be considered an extraordinary expense?

Sorry for the silly questions...But when you deal with a lady (in my case, my DH ex) who thinks buying "BUG SPRAY" for daycare is considered an extraordinary expense, I don't know what our limitations are...

No, none of these are considered "extra-ordinary" and the child support you send is intended to cover your portion of these "normal" expenses.

Comment

CanLii, as suggested, is a good source for determining what is and isn't reasonable. By reading up on the case law, I've realized that I had been asked to pay for all sorts of things I really didn't have to. It has allowed me to take a firmer stance against these requests, and I can now shrug off her threats of court action with renewed confidence in my position.

I would agree with got2bkid and say that none of these seem like extraordinary expenses to me. The only borderline item is the supply fee for daycare. If it is optional - that is, they allow the parent to provide school supplies on their own - then it wouldn't be included. If it's a mandatory fee, an argument could be made that it was a day care cost.

I doubt she would take you to court over half of a $20-$30 supply fee and a can of bug spray, so I think opting out of paying these is fairly risk-free anyhow.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X