This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you feel guilt or regret?

For those of you who were the ones to ask for the divorce, do you have any feelings of guilt or regret..especially if there are children involved?

With all of the nonsense going through this divorce and the stress it has caused for the kids I sometimes feel guilty that I didn't just wait until they were grown to ask him to leave.
    Maybe I should have just waited another 10yrs, put my own needs and feelings on hold and let them grow up, after all I am the one who chose him as their father.

I have asked other people this question before but most haven't been in this position and they typically say if you aren't happy the kids aren't happy or its not healthy for them to be in a 2 parent home if the parents don't get along.
    I get that but we never fought and got along for the most part, so it's not like they saw us yelling and screaming at each other. Are they really any better off now that their dad is with a new woman who doesn't know how to behave like an adult?

I don't miss or want the x back. I just struggle with the guilt.

Guilt? Yes

Regret? No

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

There are lots of things in life to feel guilty about - trust in your decision - and work to make yourself happy - and wish the best for him .......... THAT is what the kids deserve. If there are comments about his new partner ..... the kids will pick up and that and THAT is not healthy. No matter what - he deserves to be happy too -- everyone does!

Comment

I regret my child has had to be put through it.
        But what can you do?
        Life changes, and we march on.

Comment

Originally posted by neverdivorced View Post
          There are lots of things in life to feel guilty about...
          I'll say. Thanks goodness I don't beat myself up over that

Comment

Originally posted by Pink View Post
            For those of you who were the ones to ask for the divorce, do you have any feelings of guilt or regret..especially if there are children involved?

With all of the nonsense going through this divorce and the stress it has caused for the kids I sometimes feel guilty that I didn't just wait until they were grown to ask him to leave.
            Maybe I should have just waited another 10yrs, put my own needs and feelings on hold and let them grow up, after all I am the one who chose him as their father.

I have asked other people this question before but most haven't been in this position and they typically say if you aren't happy the kids aren't happy or its not healthy for them to be in a 2 parent home if the parents don't get along.
            I get that but we never fought and got along for the most part, so it's not like they saw us yelling and screaming at each other. Are they really any better off now that their dad is with a new woman who doesn't know how to behave like an adult?

I don't miss or want the x back. I just struggle with the guilt.
            They would still have seen or sensed that there was nothing beneath the surface calm, no mutual respect, no caring, no reality to the shallow shell approximating a happy marriage. They would have grown up never knowing what a good marriage looked like, and how to behave in one themselves.

That's one of the very main reasons my ex had to go, even though in non-couple (aka child related) matters we still get along quite well. But I didn't want my children to grow up thinking it was okay for a marriage to lack respect and intimacy, and to think lying to the people you love was acceptable.

Sometimes raising children isn't about your direct influence, but the role-modelling you are doing, the example you are setting.

Comment

Pink, maybe the simple answer is what would want your child to do if they were in the same situation when they grew up?

Comment

Guilt? Not an ounce.
                Regrets? Even less. Best thing that ever happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                  They would still have seen or sensed that there was nothing beneath the surface calm, no mutual respect, no caring, no reality to the shallow shell approximating a happy marriage. They would have grown up never knowing what a good marriage looked like, and how to behave in one themselves.
                  intimacy, and to think lying to the people you love was acceptable.

Sometimes raising children isn't about your direct influence, but the role-modelling you are doing, the example you are setting.

I agree whole heartedly with this.

I made this mistake, this relationship should have ended a long time ago (17 years). They do pick up on it, and now the one remaining child at home will see that it doesn't have to be this way, the lying to your self, the putting up with the shallowness, etc...

Regret for not doing this years ago.

Someone recently told me this:

You and two young children are in a boat, and it tips who do you save?

Yourself, then you save the kids, by reaching out, if you don't save yourself how can you save the kids and show them how to reach out.

Comment

Originally posted by Rioe View Post
                    Yes, but what is the example we are setting, exactly?
                    50% of marriages end in divorce. Or so they say.
                    Whoever 'they' are.

I'm not sure I want to be a role model to this example.

I struggle with this every day.

Comment

Originally posted by billm View Post
                      Pink, maybe the simple answer is what would want your child to do if they were in the same situation when they grew up?
                      The problem with that bill is I would have a very hard time telling them to leave and make themselves happy (unless of course they were being beaten) just because I know what they are going to go through in a divorce and you just never know what the grandchildren would be exposed to in future mates as well.
                      Perhaps I feel that way because my Mom was not happy with my father, but stayed anyway for our benefit. Often times I would say you should have just left, we all would have been better off, but now I'm not so sure of that.

All kinds of "what if's"
                      that's life I suppose.

Comment

Life is full of a lot of 'ifs' unfortunatly. But you only get one shot at a decision usually, and a limited amount of time to ponder the options and ramifications. I've tried to learn to live life without playing the 'what if' game after the fact. You make decisions the best you can, with the information and skills you have at the time and you go from there. Beating yourself up over the decisions you make will drive you buggy and it isn't healthy.

Do I regret leaving my ex? Occasionally, but its few and far between. I had this discussion with friends and family if it is better to stay in a relationship and raise my son in a miserable household, or to have the possibility of two happy households and happy parents raising a child. I'm here, so you know what my choice was. Am I happy? Not yet, but I'm a *lot* less miserable than I was a year ago. I miss seeing my son all the time, but work has me away from home a lot, so I make every minute I have with him count.

Do I feel guilty about getting a divorce? Not in the least. My relationship with my ex was built on lies, manipulation and deceit. She doesn't see anything wrong with that, in fact she was *proud* of having done it. If she even showed an ounce of remorse or regret, there might possibly be a small chance I might feel a little guilty. Maybe.

Comment

A "Single Parent-Happy Home" is better than a "2 Parent-Fighting Home." IMO

Comment

Originally posted by walshch View Post
                            A "Single Parent-Happy Home" is better than a "2 Parent-Fighting Home." IMO
                            Doesn't even have to be fighting, just stress and strain and no love is bad enough.

Comment

Grauwolf.....Agreed !! It was control issues in my case.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X