Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child table support, easy calc

Hi,

divorced, 3 children with equal shared custody.

Looking to figure out a child table support amount of payment.

We have dealt with lawyers in the past to get this figured out but it's getting costly.

My ex and I want a quick easy way to arrive at the child support to figure out each year.

What is the easiest way for us to do a quick calculation to arrive at a child table support amount?

Is it line 150 on the tax return? We want the most simple calculation. We have agreed on not putting bonuses in. I am thinking wr should include overtime as wage/income.

Much thanks in advance.
    T.

Or can we use just base salaries?

Comment

Also, does line 150 include overtime and bonuses?

Comment

Normally its line 150 but if you have regular additional income like dividends or investment income that isnt reported on your taxes then include that. If you had one year with a giant bonus but its not happening the next year you *could* ignore it but technically cs is the right of the child and they should benefit. In that case I would recommend you either go back and calculate what monthly cs should have been and pay the extra or add that to your income going forward if you are considering a base salary. Theres no easy way to figure it out if you get extra money annually that fluctuates.

Comment

As Rockscan already mentioned, it's generally line 150 for both parents tax returns, to use. That's the easiest.

Here's info on calculating child support in a shared custody situation, with examples and such, which is very straight-forward.

http://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/f...ep6-etap6.html

It sounds like though, if you've had lawyers in the past to figure this out, and it's getting costly, and you're still not settled on this simple calculation, it sounds like at least one of you, don't want this to be easy.

Comment

I am wondering what the difference between using the base salary or line 150 would be. Does line 150 include overtime worked?

What I want to determine now is the easiest way to get this figured out each year by plugging in numbers from a fair source. We agreed bonuses are not to be included but overtime would.

Comment

Then you use 150. That shows everything that is paid. If you get a bonus they will tell you what it was so you subtract that from the total of line 150.

You obviously don’t work for yourself so you wont have the issue of company dividends. Take line 150, subtract your bonus (which isn’t right but if you agree, whatever) and calculate support that way. Its not rocket science.

Comment

Originally posted by Tawanda View Post
                I am wondering what the difference between using the base salary or line 150 would be. Does line 150 include overtime worked?

What I want to determine now is the easiest way to get this figured out each year by plugging in numbers from a fair source. We agreed bonuses are not to be included but overtime would.

Bonuses are most likely included in line 150... I would use line 150 and back out the bonuses received... that will include the base salary and overtime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's my ex that gets the big bonus each year. I have agreed not to include it. Perhaps that's not right.

Comment

Do you pay offset support or full table?

Comment

It's based on our wages, and we have joint custody. I believe you would say it's offset. It's worded that we pay each other.. Is that what you mean?

Comment

Ok that makes sense. If you were paying full table her income wont mean anything.

You should still request proof of both the line 150 and her bonus to subtract it. She could say she got 10,000 when it was really five and be subtracting that from her income. Personally I think you’re crazy because its still income.

Comment

Originally posted by rockscan View Post
                          Ok that makes sense. If you were paying full table her income wont mean anything.

You should still request proof of both the line 150 and her bonus to subtract it. She could say she got 10,000 when it was really five and be subtracting that from her income. Personally I think you’re crazy because its still income.

Even bonuses should be reported on the tax return somewhere, sometimes as other income... but I agree you need to see proof of that bonus... does the bonus happen often? Is it usually a big amount?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anywhere from a couple thousand to ten thousand.. But most likely around three thousand a year

I am making around 40,000 (base) and him 95, 000 (base, excluding bonuses and OT)

He states if we add overtime he thinks it will lower my support. Not sure why that would be.

Comment

Hes trying to avoid having the amounts added in. Thats his income. Salary + bonus + ot. Thats all income for cs purposes. You could say you will average the bonuses each year but it should still be considered.

Child support is the right of the child and the off set method is to equalize the amounts in each house so the kids dont suffer. I get that you dont want to fight but if it went before a judge they would say it is all included for calculation.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X