Driving me INSANE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving me INSANE

ok...so...health benefits for the STBX under my work plan...I'm going crazy here..need help

I guess the only real answer is to call the insurance company and ask them directly...I have the plan here (Great West Life) in front of me and all it states is a CL gf can be a "spouse/dependent" (after 1 year of living together).

Doesn't say anything about after separation...If I end up paying spousal, can I still have her as a "spouse" and covered under my plan??...

does anyone here deal with GWL with an ex CL spouse and is still able to have her covered under your work health plan??

The reason I'm asking is it seems to be a HUGE dilema with her lawyer (and her of course)...they're fighting hard to make sure I still have her under my plan...it's quite extensive and she's obviously hurting over the fact that I may have to take her off the plan.

what do I do??

Basically she can remain under your plan until divorce. Just make sure she get her share of the yearly deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by Moolight View Post
      Basically she can remain under your plan until divorce. Just make sure she get her share of the yearly deductible.

Not sure what you mean Moolight..the company health benefits are completely free...I don't pay into them at all.

Comment

they were never married so how can he get her off after divorce?

Comment

Originally posted by Leviathan View Post
          Not sure what you mean Moolight..the company health benefits are completely free...I don't pay into them at all.
          some companies charge the employee extra for being on the family plan. I know at my work its about 50 bucks or so a month and it comes directly off the paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
            some companies charge the employee extra for being on the family plan. I know at my work its about 50 bucks or so a month and it comes directly off the paycheck.

really....hmmm..definetly worth considering and looking into...Thanks SOTS..is yours with GWL also??

Comment

they were never married so how can he get her off after divorce?
              If they were never married then he has no obligation at all to keep her on his benefits. Off course, he has to keep the children.

I am on GWL and has a yearly deductible done on the first 2 claims on family benefits, this is on top of the monthly pay deduction. Maybe your contract with GWL is different.
              Last edited by Moolight; 03-03-2013, 12:06 PM.

Comment

If they were never married then he has no obligation at all to keep her on his benefits. Off course, he has to keep the children.

I am on GWL and has a yearly deductible done on the first 2 claims on family benefits, this is on top of the monthly pay deduction. Maybe your contract with GWL is different.
                the company I work for gives me x amount of $$ (points really) to go shopping for different plans that GWL has to offer...If I need more coverage and the points I have doesn't cover it (let's say bigger dental coverage for me and 5 dependents) they'll deduct $$ (difference) of my cheque.

you're right moolight..like I said earlier, it seems to be a HUGE part of this whole separation...STBX and her lawyer are fighting hard for me to keep her on!!

in a way, I'm beginning to think that's all she wanted outta me during the whoile relationshio (lol)

and my $$ of course....

Comment

really....hmmm..definetly worth considering and looking into...Thanks SOTS..is yours with GWL also??
                  no its not.

Comment

no its not.

Ok..I'll check here with HR and also with GWL and see what option they may be able to offer...

again...much appreciated... it's an idea I never considered

I just want to check and see...if GWL gives me an insane quote, I'll just leave it as is and she can find her own coverage really.

of course, I'll have her daughter covered under my plan (in loco parentis) because I'll more than likely end up with CS.

Comment

Why not just inform GWL of your new marital status (to avoid possible insurance fraud charges in future), but tell them you are not making any other changes i.e. want to keep her and the kids on your plan.

i.e. if you don't want to make any changes, then don't start talking to them about changes.

If they come back and say NO, then you can start talking with them about options about how to make it happen.
                      Last edited by dinkyface; 03-03-2013, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dinkyface View Post
                        Why not just inform GWL of your new marital status (to avoid possible insurance fraud charges in future), but tell them you are not making any other changes i.e. want to keep her and the kids on your plan.

i.e. if you don't want to make any changes, then don't start talking to them about changes.

If they come back and say NO, then you can start talking with them about options about how to make it happen.

yeaaaa...I thought of that Dinky, but isn't that like almost border line fraud??

you're saying just leave it the way it is or actually head over to my plan administrator here in the HR dept and let them know we've separated??

I'd be surprised if GWL says oh that's ok...

the STBX's lawyer has stated she wants to see what (if any) option I have with keeping the STBX on my plan...basically she's asked for proof in writing from GWL's policy under my plan.

it's all a load of S**T really!!...hence the thread title!!

Comment

I would definitely speak to your own lawyer first, as well as HR and insurance.

Length of CL/marriage might have something to do with it...

I just read some case laws on canlii that dealt with cl and health benefits. They had to find out what a similar benefits plan would cost (which was $150/mth for them). Then the father was ordered to keep his ex-cl on his benefits for as long as he has access to the benefits, or he could pay her the $150/mth.

Comment

yeaaaa...I thought of that Dinky, but isn't that like almost border line fraud??

you're saying just leave it the way it is or actually head over to my plan administrator here in the HR dept and let them know we've separated??

I'd be surprised if GWL says oh that's ok...

the STBX's lawyer has stated she wants to see what (if any) option I have with keeping the STBX on my plan...basically she's asked for proof in writing from GWL's policy under my plan.

it's all a load of S**T really!!...hence the thread title!!
                            best idea. That way you can get them to give you something in writing to give to STBX. Best to cover your ass.

Comment

No, I don't think there's any problem at all. As long as you have proof you have informed them of the new situation. Which you will have, once they email you have confirming (or not) that they can do it.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X