Covid-19 laid off: support payment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19 laid off: support payment?

Just temporarily laid-off due to lack off work. I'm going to be applying for my $500 per week of EI, but what about the support I have to pay? Am I expected to get back out there and find work? Weird situation and I'm sure I'm not the only one going through this.

You will have to pay based on your order for now. Your income will be lower next year. If your ex is reasonable you could see about reducing while on EI and then increase when you go back to work. Your ex will be eligible for increased ccb and other measures the govt introduced. Plus there are reduced costs for things like daycare at the moment.

If your ex is unreasonable you will have to pay as courts are either closed or reduced schedules and a motion to change will take too long. It may mean you have to wait for your update date and adjust then.

Comment

Do you have anything in a separation agreement about a material change in circumstances?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X