Imputed Income

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imputed Income

My final order was issued in Nov 2016. Worked cash job while we were married After 5 months this order was issued she finally decided to get a full time job. Started making $29,000 and lost her job (no reason given) Aug 2019 making $36,000. From my understanding she still isn't working or may be working under the table.

There is no reason why she shouldn't be working. Both my children are full time in school and she lives with her parents.

Can her income be imputed and how do I deal with this matter?

76 views and nobody can comment on this issue

Comment

There a lot of threads on imputed income. Use the search button.

Comment

Originally posted by MjD View Post
        Started making $29,000 and lost her job (no reason given) Aug 2019 making $36,000. From my understanding she still isn't working or may be working under the table.
        Do you have any evidence that she is working under the table?

There is no reason why she shouldn't be working.
        Did she work during your marriage?

Can her income be imputed and how do I deal with this matter?
        Why do you want it imputed, and how much do you want it imputed at? Are you pulling a number out of thin air or do you actually have some evidence for a reasonable salary?

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
          Do you have any evidence that she is working under the table?

No! It's just an assumption

Did she work during your marriage?

Yes! she did but it was under the table. She did start working for a brief time at walmart

Why do you want it imputed, and how much do you want it imputed at? Are you pulling a number out of thin air or do you actually have some evidence for a reasonable salary?
          Yes! We exchange T4's and she started this full time job shortly have the final order was issued making $29,000 and after a yr was up to $36,000 and all of sudden she lost her job in Aug 2019 without a reason. Now from my understanding she still doesn't have a job. What are my rights if she continues to be jobless?

Comment

Research the case law.
            Basic principle is self sufficiency unless medical or evidence of economic reasons (the pulp mill closed down).
            You need evidence of intentional unemployment or underemployment.
            Rulings are often under what you might expect, benefit of the doubt.
            That sounds challenging in this case.
            Good luck

Comment

Until I see official T4 to confirm she still unemployed for the remaining months of 2019. There is no reason why she shouldn't be working.

If indeed that she is still unemployed what are the next steps to take and does ex-wife's income only effect the special expenses? Can I refuse to pay based on the ex wife not working when she is fully capable of working? ( Pay only percentage based on what was before she lost her job).

Comment

If it only impacts the s7 then your argument may fall on deaf ears. You could argue to split the expenses 50/50 but she could present different evidence to show she can’t work.

Comment

Does her income only reflect how much she pays towards section 7 expenses?

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                  Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                  Working...
                  X