Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if I just went and picked up my kids ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if I just went and picked up my kids ?

Hi all,

stbx left with the children back in may while I was at work and took them to toronto. CAS was involved and has determined that there is no concern with me.

She is not cooperating with access.

I am frustrated, and I am not going to do this but I am really tempted to pick my kids up from school in toronto and take them out for dinner or play football or something, without even asking her.

Is that abduction ? I am a custodial parent and there are no court orders saying otherwise. Could she call the police ?

I won't do anything unless I have a court order, but I was just curious as to what if anything would happen.

Anyway, just venting, stbx not providing access. I have served a motion for same. God this sucks.

stbx left with the children back in may while I was at work and took them to toronto.
    Last May sounds like a good time for a motion.

pick my kids up from school in toronto and take them out for dinner or play football or something
    How would your children feel about that? Would it cause them stress?

Could she call the police ?
    The police generally do not involve themselves without a police enforcement clause.

but I was just curious as to what if anything would happen.
    1- You risk emotional damage to your children.
    2- You look like a jerk.
    3- Depending on 1, you may actually be a jerk.
    4- You justify her mal fides by acting with bad faith yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by OrleansLawyer View Post
      Last May sounds like a good time for a motion.

How would your children feel about that? Would it cause them stress?

The police generally do not involve themselves without a police enforcement clause.

1- You risk emotional damage to your children.
      2- You look like a jerk.
      3- Depending on 1, you may actually be a jerk.
      4- You justify her mal fides by acting with bad faith yourself.
      thought so. thanks.

Comment

Id probably go ahead and do it. I unfortunately act first think later. Its a good thing you didnt though. Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

I thought the police would charge with child abduction. Is there any criteria when/how they can do it? If I just take my daughter after school for a dinner (without any emotional harm or distress) can they charge me with abduction?

Comment

Originally posted by BitHunter View Post
            I thought the police would charge with child abduction. Is there any criteria when/how they can do it? If I just take my daughter after school for a dinner (without any emotional harm or distress) can they charge me with abduction?
            If there is no court order there is zero the police can do.

Comment

That would be a bit hard to believe. Can anyone chime it? What and when the police can do?

Comment

They will contact you and ask you to return the children.

If there is no court order, or concern for child(s) well-being - they cannot force you to return child(s).

They will come visit your house in response to your ex's call, and take a look around when you invite them in. If there is nothing giving them cause for concern - they will leave.

It is important to consider how long you have allowed the current situation to be.
                If it has been say, six months or more, you could be considered to NOT be the custodial parent (based on status-quo).

The fall back answer to the police would always be "The ex is welcome to come pick them up anytime".

Comment

**** WHINER ALERT *** I don't do this often.

I am just so f**king tired of being the only one playing by the rules. Having to prove to CAS, OCL and the courts that I am a good dad.

She is a liar, and a cheat. 3 affairs. I stayed for the kids. She ruined the family business, I stayed. Then I admitted made the mistake of getting physical, and was honest about it and it got me convicted. I *used* to do work for CSIS, CSEC, RCMP. No more. No security clearance. Lies to my children about stupid things like telling them she paid for their braces, when I went and borrowed the money to do so. Lied to childrens aid. I only now have convinced them I am a good father. I am sorry but I have nothing but hate towards her. I have always played by the rules all my life, and been screwed for it. Regardless I know I must if I am to fight for my kids.

She has never been held accountable. I am just assumed to be a bastard and have been swimming upstream for a almost two years.

Ok, done crying.

Comment

When I was living in the matrimonial home and separated I often picked up my daughter early from daycare just to spend time with her. My lawyers advice was just send a text to my Stbx as I was at the daycare letting her know what I was doing and just have fun with my daughter.

My ex was evil so this was the only way I could maintain time with my child. If you are still in the home and have no parenting plan, do it. She can't do a thing and it will drive her nuts.

My ex was pissed and would call and text me like crazy but I just ignored her nonsense.

Water off a ducks back.

Comment

I empathize with your distress, but as OrleansLawyer pointed out, May would have been a good time to deal with this. You have helped to dig the hole you are in, it wasn't just your ex.

Comment

Originally posted by dadthatshadenough View Post
                        When I was living in the matrimonial home and separated I often picked up my daughter early from daycare just to spend time with her. My lawyers advice was just send a text to my Stbx as I was at the daycare letting her know what I was doing and just have fun with my daughter.

My ex was evil so this was the only way I could maintain time with my child. If you are still in the home and have no parenting plan, do it. She can't do a thing and it will drive her nuts.

My ex was pissed and would call and text me like crazy but I just ignored her nonsense.

Water off a ducks back.
                        I am in matrimonial home.... she is in another city now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                          I empathize with your distress, but as OrleansLawyer pointed out, May would have been a good time to deal with this. You have helped to dig the hole you are in, it wasn't just your ex.
                          I did file on an urgent basis, but in the best interests of the children I withdrew to spare them the humiliation of being yanked out of school for the second time. I thought long and hard and did what I thought was in the best interests of the children. Would do it again, but it just hurts like hell

Comment

Ok, enough crying. Thanks for listening.

Comment

Originally posted by plainNamedDad44 View Post
                              I did file on an urgent basis, but in the best interests of the children I withdrew to spare them the humiliation of being yanked out of school for the second time. I thought long and hard and did what I thought was in the best interests of the children. Would do it again, but it just hurts like hell
                              you would have put them back into their original school with their friends they were probably missing. If it was back in may then maybe it wouldn't have been sorted till the kids were done school. Lots of kids move after the school year, no humiliation in that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X