This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SELF or UN represented?

I was reading a lot of books lately for lawyers continuing educations and come up across number of materials about how to deal with self represented litigants.

I do not have book with me right now to quote but

does anyone now that there is a differences between SELF and UN represented?

I did not know to be honest. Now I know. What do you think?

little tip:
    I changed my documents from SELF to UN

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
    I was reading a lot of books lately for lawyers continuing educations and come up across number of materials about how to deal with self represented litigants.

I do not have book with me right now to quote but

does anyone now that there is a differences between SELF and UN represented?

I did not know to be honest. Now I know. What do you think?

little tip:
    I changed my documents from SELF to UN
    So what IS the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by canadamama View Post
      So what IS the difference?
      oh common
      there are will be no fun if just tell from the begging )

if you give up I can sent you PM )

Comment

Originally posted by WorkingDAD View Post
        oh common
        there are will be no fun if just tell from the begging )

if you give up I can sent you PM )
        LOL - fair enough. I Googled it and now I know the difference, and I understand the distinction, although I am not sure of the significance. That said, if I ever hit that checkpoint on a form I'd know which box to tick!

Comment

Self-represented is someone who can't afford a lawyer and doesn't qualify for Legal Aid.
          Un-represented is someone who chooses to not pay a lawyer.
          I'm self-represented litigant (srl).

Comment

Originally posted by Epona View Post
            Self-represented is someone who can't afford a lawyer and doesn't qualify for Legal Aid.
            here is page from conference material...
            It actually does not say who is who but I was thinking opposite than you

DEALING WITH SELF-REPS

by H. Hunter Phillips

It is an old adage that "He who represents himself in court has a fool for a client". Despite that, the number of self-represented litigants in family law proceedings seems to be ever increasing. Recent experience in Ottawa, for example, is that the vast majority of cases that proceed to trial have at least one self-represented party. Very few cases go to trial where both parties are represented by counsel.

Generally self-represented litigants fall into one of two categories:

a) those who cannot afford counsel, either because of the limited circumstances under which a Legal Aid certificate is available in family law matters, or because they make too much to qualify for Legal Aid (but not enough to be able to afford counsel); or

b) those that either think they can do a better job than a lawyer or cannot get a lawyer to represent them because of the unreasonable (and unattainable) position they are taking.

In either case, we, as counsel, cannot avoid having to deal with opposing parties who represent themselves. The purpose of this paper is to give some tips on dealing with self-represented parties, both in negotiations and in court. Attached to the paper are excerpts from a number of appellate decisions from across Canada, which cases are broken into two categories, being:

1. The role of the judge when presiding over proceedings in which one or both parties are self-represented; and

2. Self-represented parties to domestic contracts.
            Last edited by WorkingDAD; 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Epona View Post
              I think it's the other way around, actually...

Comment

Unrepresented people do not have a lawyer because they can't afford one (and don't qualify for a free one) or can't find a lawyer who will represent them.

Self representation is a decision made by someone who wants to conduct their own trial.

The difference boils down to choice.

Cheers!

Gary

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                Working...
                X