This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lawyer ethics.

just wondering something that is happening with my mothers situation. He has gotten a lawyer to try and get half the home (i legally own half)

My question is, the lawyer he has I have used about 14 years ago or so for a case. Can she legally represent him against me??
    Last edited by standing on the sidelines; 12-25-2010, 07:00 PM.

Was it for a related matter? an unrelated one?

Unless her prior involvement would give her insight into things that she cannot get via ordinary means, or unless it was a matter that was a direct conflict of interest, then yes she can legally represent him.

If you believe it otherwise, get a consult with a lawyer (unless you have one already) and ask if it is relavent.

Comment

thanks for the info. It was an unrelated matter so I guess all is good. I did inform my mothers lawyer via fax about it.

Do I dare hope that his lawyer represents him with the same dilligence that she did for me?? She forgot to file papers by a deadline so I got a judgement against me so she had to pay my legal fees to get it overturned?? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by standing on the sidelines View Post
        just wondering something that is happening with my mothers situation. He has gotten a lawyer to try and get half the home (i legally own half)

My question is, the lawyer he has I have used about 14 years ago or so for a case. Can she legally represent him against me??
        I think I would advise of pending conflict, yet to be determined. In this action, they are/were privy to information concerning that previous matter. It's collateral that could induce settlement of their claim. At best, the common law couple was just that and weak foundation to pursue their cause.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
        Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
        Working...
        X