Lawyers fees: $2000

Freedom: PRICELESS!
    For everything else use VISA!!

God I'm good!!

What if your visa is maxed out? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by tugofwar View Post
      What if your visa is maxed out? LOL

Not a problem Master Card is still there.:-)...

Comment

Line of Credit, I secured 30 grand LOC before my court stuff started!

Comment

smart move. VERY smart!

Comment

Here is what I would do, robbing Peter to pay Paul essentially...

Visa would send out cheques with a really low interest rate for 6 months. I would pay my lawyer with a visa cheque, and when the interest rate went higher I would pay off visa with my LOC...

Comment

Even smarter, take out the 30k as a bank loan, spend it on a retainer with the lawyer, then put the loan on your financial disclosure and split it with your ex during equalization.

I'm sure there's a reason you can't do that, but it sure sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mess View Post
                Even smarter, take out the 30k as a bank loan, spend it on a retainer with the lawyer, then put the loan on your financial disclosure and split it with your ex during equalization.

I'm sure there's a reason you can't do that, but it sure sounds great.

MY ex tried the move but Court didn't buy it out.

Comment

If you plan a separation correctly, you can royally screw the other party easily....

A week or so before you split, MAX any joint credit cards/LOC via cash advances. (works especially well if there is almost nothing on them previously).

ie. 10000 LOC....with say 9000 left on it...take the 9K out cash, sit on it....when it comes time for division of assets/debts...you are responsible for 5K of the debt. (10K divided by 2).

Happened to a former coworker of mine. Courts can't do ANYTHING about it (since it's a JOINT account)

Comment

Originally posted by NBDad View Post
                    ie. 10000 LOC....with say 9000 left on it...take the 9K out cash, sit on it....when it comes time for division of assets/debts...you are responsible for 5K of the debt. (10K divided by 2).

Happened to a former coworker of mine. Courts can't do ANYTHING about it (since it's a JOINT account)

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO HEAR TODAY ON TOP OF EVERYTHING ELSE......NICE..
                    Is this year over yet???

Comment

It's only doable in VERY limited circumstances. ie. BEFORE you separate. AFTER you separate, it takes a phone call to freeze the accounts.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                      Working...
                      X