X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRO collections from US?

New member here.

My ex lives in the US. I'm in Ontario. Divorced in Ontario.

We have been separated five years and have spent four years in acrimonious litigation. All my offers to settle were rebuffed. I offered more family assets than necessary, and no SS, past or future, even though I had a good case for receiving it.

During the five years I received no SS or CS.

Finally, the trial is over. I have been awarded back SS for five years and CS while our son needed it and, of course, huge court costs. Just the interest on the arrears will be over $600/mo. The SS going forward indefinitely is substantial.

The FRO has been assigned to manage this. As my ex is in the US I expect it to take quite a while. Meanwhile the arrears and interest is growing quickly.

How does the FRO deal with arrears and interest? We are talking very substantial arrears after all this time. My ex is unlikely to be able to pay all the arrears in a lump sum, especially with 40% NDI SS going forward.

My ex could have gotten off scott free, but demanded a trial. Not too smart.

Hello

Glad to hear that you were treated fairly in the end. FRO is quite the organization to say the least. But that is another story. My new spouse has been in a lega battle with them for the past 7 years and has finally won. He overpaid all that time. So he can bring alot of insight into how they work. Off the top of my head right now what they wil attempt to do is secure a regular amount on your behalf and in addition to that they will then get into an arrangement to clear up the arrears. usually this is thru an additional amount above regular support. My ex has the same going on, in that he fell into arrears. So he pays about $100 extra a month.

Now from the sounds of it your ex is looking at a much larger amount. Legally FRO can only collect up to a maximum of 50% of his income (total). Being as he is in the US they may have to bring this into the area of federal garnishees. This would mean that as well as the income they would look at taking his income tax and other types of refunds. Whether he files canadian or ameriacn taxes FRO does have agreements with US enforcement agencies to collect. FRO would have to do what is needed to set all that up. You have your orders in place talk with FRO to see exactly what they are doing for you. They are obligated to provide you with this info. Good luck and contact me again if you have any other questions about FRO or such.

Comment

Thank you for the information. The 50% limit is interesting, but makes sense. I'm sure I'll have more questions as the situation progresses.

Zap

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
      Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
      Working...
      X