This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I claim unjust enrichment?

Some background. While we have only been living together for 2 years, as we are both in the military, we can claim common-law after 1 year, which we did, paperwork and all. Prior to him joining the military just over a year ago, he was frequently unemployed. Once he did join, we were able to claim spousal benefits due to our common-law status, because he has been away on training. Some of the benefits include seperation pay, and him not having to pay for his food and shelter while away. With the military, you are still considered co-habitants if one person is away due to military reasons. There was also talk of marriage. We had a verbal agreement that my income would go toward all the bills, while his would go toward savings, etc. While we have a joint account, all the household bills, and the lease is under my name and "our" savings account was under his.

My question is am I able to claim unjust enrichment? Would it even be worth trying? I don't want to seem vindictive, and I hope to handle this maturely, but if I'm entitled to anything, I would like to know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

verbal agreements are not worth the paper they are written on (heard Judge Judy say that one). Why did you not have both names on everything especially the savings account?? i am kind of thinking you may be screwed on this one.

There is one thing though, the next time you will probably not do the same thing again.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
    Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
    Working...
    X