Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unjust enrichment claim

HI everyone,
    Does anyone have any experience with unjust enrichment and constructive trust claims?
    My Ex and I are going to court over custody / access so in his answer to my submission he included a claim for unjust enrichment and constructive trust. He is asking for 50% of all my savings at the date of separation.
    We’ve been in common law relationship for 4 years . Lived together for 3.5 years in my condo that I purchased before meeting him. I sold my condo 6 months ago - we broke up and I bought my new place after the separation using money I received from the sale of my property. When we lived together he contributed 450$/month (gave me money) towards the living expenses .I paid all the bills for my property which came up to 1500 $/month on average. Prior to moving in with me he was renting a 1 bedroom unit for 800$/ month.
    When we were together we were planning to use the money from the sale of my condo as a down payment for the house but I told him I wanted a prenuptial agreement before buying anything with him. The value of the condo didn’t go up a lot – 10k over 4 years – I sold it in a bad market.
    I am trying to figure out if his claim even has a chance or he is just using it as a bargaining chip in our custody battle.

Thank you

He may have a chance. Even though th value went up 10 percent I'm sure your equity increased more than the market value increase. This is where he would base his claim.

Comment

Mamma

I'm not a lawyer, so you shouldn't construe this as legal advise but....

From what I have read here in the past, I don't think that a common law partner can make such a claim. To make such a claim he would have to show that over the course of the time together by his actions he increased the value of the asset. Did he help maintain or improve the property through renovations? Did he contribute to any extraordinary items.

Usually in common law situations you leave with your own possessions. If essentially he was a renter contributing to the payment of utilities etc., this shouldn't be an issue. And of course the most he would be entitled to if his claim was successful would be 50% of the INCREASE in value (or $5000) since you weren't married and therefore there is no matrimonial home.

So I'd say this is a bargaining chip or an attempt to throw you off balance and have you stop focussing on the other issues on the table.

Comment

He was not a renter If so produce a lease. In your original post you stated he contributed. So now he is asking for his share of the increase. Your best course of action is consult with a lawyer ASAP. Depending on incomes he may even make a claim for spousal support. It doesn't mean he will get anything but he is allowed to ask.

Comment

thanks for the reply.
          His contributions for the renovation are limited to painting two rooms - nothing out of the ordinary . I increased my equity in the place by making extra payments like I used to do even before meeting him. I have a meeting with my lawyer next week but I really needed some feedback. it is just so frustrating that he is trying to make a claim over pennies (5000$ won't cover lawyers fees if me go to trial). we've been together for 4years - not a lifetime and he is still trying to get money from me

Comment

I have a sister who paid 80k to an ex for a six year relationship. This was an unjust enrichment claim and a one time spousal support buyout.

Comment

WoW 80k for such a short relationship. I guess I am luck he is making enough money not to request spousal support

Comment

Originally posted by Once.is.enough View Post
                He was not a renter If so produce a lease. In your original post you stated he contributed. So now he is asking for his share of the increase. Your best course of action is consult with a lawyer ASAP. Depending on incomes he may even make a claim for spousal support. It doesn't mean he will get anything but he is allowed to ask.
                He wasn't a husband either. They weren't married.

$400 a month is rent sized payments, when the total expense is at the $1600 a month mark.

On what grounds would he claim spousal support? Only if he sacrificed his job to "raise kids" or "support her career".

Comment

Not that simple. They settled rather then court. They were common law not married. Her income did increase during relationship his did not. 28 k diffrence in earnings. Rather than fight they negotiated a figure for the unjust enrichment claim and a lump sum tax discounted spousal claim. It was lower than what it would have cost her in legal fees to fight. I think the op may find herself in a similar situation.
                  There is no point in spending 20k to avoid a 15k claim.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
                    He wasn't a husband either. They weren't married.

$400 a month is rent sized payments, when the total expense is at the $1600 a month mark.

On what grounds would he claim spousal support? Only if he sacrificed his job to "raise kids" or "support her career".
                    You don't need grounds to make any claims. This is family law. You can ask for whatever you want while you watch the other side squirm and spend thousands.

Comment

Originally posted by Once.is.enough View Post
                      You don't need grounds to make any claims. This is family law. You can ask for whatever you want while you watch the other side squirm and spend thousands.
                      Of course you can ask. He doesn't have the grounds, and could be assessed costs.

Comment

Originally posted by DowntroddenDad View Post
                        Of course you can ask. He doesn't have the grounds, and could be assessed costs.
                        Costs does not mean you get your legal fees back. If your lucky you might get a percentage back.

Comment

I am just curious, what is the custody battle about?

Comment

11 month old baby boy. We were in mediation for two months but are now going to court. I am seeking a joint custody with me having a primary residence and a gradual increase in access time for the father starting with two 2h visits during the week plus a 5h visit on a weekend; overnights to start at 18 months . Schedule to be re-assessed when the child reaches 2 years.
                            He replied with a request for joint custody and him having primary residence and an immediate shared parenting schedule, plus a claim for unjust enrichment and constructive trust ( I used money from the sale of my condo to buy a townhouse located 5km from our current rental).
                            I know there are a lot of supporters for the shared parenting plans and maybe we will be there one day but not now, he is too young

Comment

Originally posted by Mamma View Post
                              11 month old baby boy. We were in mediation for two months but are now going to court. I am seeking a joint custody with me having a primary residence and a gradual increase in access time for the father starting with two 2h visits during the week plus a 5h visit on a weekend; overnights to start at 18 months . Schedule to be re-assessed when the child reaches 2 years.
                              He replied with a request for joint custody and him having primary residence and an immediate shared parenting schedule, plus a claim for unjust enrichment and constructive trust ( I used money from the sale of my condo to buy a townhouse located 5km from our current rental).
                              I know there are a lot of supporters for the shared parenting plans and maybe we will be there one day but not now, he is too young
                              He's too young...REALLY????

Maybe child should be with the father 98% of the time because he's too young to be with you!

EDIT: Sorry had to add more.. A man is equally capable of caring for infants... Are you saying when a mother dies during child birth the father is not capable of caring for his child? Should CAS intervene?
                              Last edited by FB_; 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                              Working...
                              X