This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, thank-you all!

I saw a lawyer, but he turned out to be uneducated in this matter. I am trying to find another one, but I have to look at the cost, as most of them are very expensive. I don't understand why my spouse's lawyer is not counseling him the right thing. Our incomes are about the same at present, so I am not concerned about spousal support. After we mutually separated in 1996, he paid spousal support and I claimed it on my tax returns, after 2004 he reduced the amount he used to pay and then I stopped claiming the amount.
    Last edited by Kayal; 08-18-2012, 09:47 PM. Reason: Add more information

Comment

Can anyone recommend me a good lawyer who specializes in Family Law and division of family assets in the North East end of Toronto. Also, is able to represent me in the court in case this case goes to the court. Someone who is reasonable in terms of cost as well.

Comment

your best bet.... go to your local Family Court House, there you will find a facilitator who should be able to give you a list of family law lawyers in your area. From there it is pick up the phone and start calling. Some may disagree but I usually find that the personality of the lawyer's front line is a good indicator to the lawyers they work for..... nothing will beat the sitting with one with a few well worded questions to check skill, experience, philosophy on family law..... the latter may be one of the most important if not the most...... hire a jerk and well you have a jerk!!! Bonus, consider strongly the lawyer that prides themselves in staying OUT OF THE COURT HOUSE.... everybody will win at that point.

There is also a refer to a lawyer program that will allow you one referal for I believe 30 min at $6 - but I wasn't charged.

Comment

ddo - many thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kayal View Post
            ... and then I stopped claiming the amount.
            Oopsy - careful!

Comment

Buying Out Spouse's Share of Matrimonial Home

Finally, my spouse and I came to a settlement that I will pay him 50% value of the house and I keep the matrimonial home and he will transfer his interest to me. My question is since this is our matrimonial home -would a simple transfer of title is enough? as the house was purchased 27 yrs ago and shows that old price or should we have a new agreement of purchase and sale, showing the current sale price? I don't want to have further issues because it was a matrimonial home.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X