This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expense lists.. what's typical?

The list of expenses I submitted in my financial disclosure was minimal, but fair (IMO), but I had a really tough time coming up with amounts. I wondered what it's based on.. Should I be listing approximate amounts based on how we lived when we were together (less my ex, of course), the approximate amounts we now were trying to live on, or the approximate amounts I felt we could get by on successfully? By 'successfully', I mean what it takes to live a meager, but do-able, existence. My lawyer was very vague in his instruction on how and what to list, but did tell me he saw a case where someone listed $100 per month for lotto tickets, and it really angered the judge.

In the end, I used all the utility bills from the previous year and averaged them over 12 months to determine an amount for them. Right or wrong, I felt my internet cost was a necessity, as I really needed it for legal research and e-mail between my lawyer and I, and frankly, with two little kids, it's the only way I've found and maintained friendships. Groceries, prescriptions, fuel.. they were relatively easy with looking at previous months' purchases, too.

Determining rent/mortgage was difficult because my ex and I are in dispute over the house; I live in it with the kids, I provided the down-payment from the sale of the house I was renting to own from my father, but we put the house in his name only because I had bad credit from large student loans. While he's acknowledged many times that the house is mine, he's insisted on keeping it in his name as a means to force me to comply with his demands about the kids, so he's been responsible for the payments and taxes, although he hasn't been paying them regularily. My lawyer told me to list the amount of the mortgage payment and the property taxes in my expenses on the basis that a) I feel the home should be signed over to me and will therefore take over responsibility when and if it is, and b) I couldn't rent any cheaper than the payment + tax amount. My ex also listed the mortgage payment in his expense list, which seems reasonable, since he is the one supposedly paying it, but is it right that we both list the same expense, when only he is paying it?

In the entertainment/recreation category, I was really stumped. Since the separation, the kids and I have been living a very meager existence, particularily compared to what we as a family were living.. I ended up putting down about $25 for trips to McD's, etc, and the amount we pay for cable TV. Clothing was another tough one.. at the time, I still had lots of hand-me-downs for the twins, but since then, they've gotten to that age where kiddos wear out their clothes really fast, and hand-me-downs are scarce. For myself, I hadn't bought anything new for myself except underwear and socks for over two years, so I was in desperate need of pants, shirts, and a new pair of shoes. In the end, I put down about $100 per month for me and the twins combined, and I don't know whether that was reasonable or not.. the twins were outgrowing their shoes about every 2 months then, and they each take a 'wide' size, so shoes alone ran about $50 when we replaced them. Winter boots were pushing $80. Snowsuits.. about $35 each, etc. For me, I figured approximately $30 per month wasn't too unreasonable, considering a bra is about $25 and a package of 3 underwear runs about $10, 4 pairs of socks about $10.

All in all, the expenses for me and the kids came out to about $2300 per month, with the only 'non-necessary' being a $100 contribution to a mutual fund my Dad helped me set up for retirement, and the entertainment/recreation amount, which was about $75 per month.

Then I saw my ex's expense list. OUTRAGEOUS! Ridiculous! He's listed entertainment, recreation and vacation as three separate expenses that total $430 per month, gifts at $50, $165 for banking/accounting/legal costs? His lawyer alone should be more than $165 per month, and my lawyer told me you don't include legal fees, as they are "voluntary expenses", so banking and accounting is apparently worth $165 in his world? Another $200 for meals outside the home, and $475 for groceries?! Ok, he works away from home, but refuses to establish a home.. he lives in his trailer that he takes to work, and stays at either his parents' or friends' homes, or stays in his trailer when he's not working. He's even listed $50 per month for newspapers? In the end, he's listing his monthly expenses at just about $6000 per month. Does this not seem absolutely outrageous, when mortgage and property taxes combined come to less than $800, and he pays no utilities? Oh yeah, he's listed his cell phone expense at $400 per month...

So, what kind of expense lists are going on out there? For those of you who've prepared them, have you had the same concerns I have? Did your lawyer direct you to a 'sample' or 'typical' list? Have any of you experienced or heard of a judge just throwing out a list of expenses for being obviously unreasonable?

If your filling out a Financial Statement its suppose to be for your expenses incurred over the past 12 months. At least that's what I was told by my lawyer. You can put down the amount of the mortgage but also in brackets put paid for by husband. Also include car expenses including gas & maintenance. I claimed my legal fees as an expense on mine.

I also think that your ex's FS is going to be detrimental to him especially since he is not paying any support. It will show the Judge that he is putting his needs ahead of the children's.

Comment

Exactly Grace. It shows he has lots of extra money if you ask me.

I found the form where you did the past year much easier to fill out then the proposed budget for the future year. I didn't know what my rent would be, how much I would spend on food with just me, how much I would spend on entertainment when again it wasn't the both of us.

I think his expense are way too high and imo yours look too low. I can't imagine how you are managing with young twins like that.

I ended up estimating a lot of it, as did my spouse. In the end it wasn't even really looked at anyway...

Comment

Expenses

Sasha,

I would have at least 300/month for clothing if you factor in clothing costs for you and the children.

To me having an internet expense is not unreasonable unless it is top of the line DSL or T1 service.

Cell phone- Some may consider this luxury, however there is "pay as you go" plans available ie: 10/month. It is priceless in the event of an emergency ie: traveling on the road with young children in the heart of winter.

Vacation is considered a luxury; same with newspaper subscriptions cd's etc. A person can easily go to the public library and read newspapers for free or turn on the radio. I think you see what i am getting at at this expense.

Alcohol and tobacco - These expenses are not necessary to live.

Children allowances, depending on age enter a reasonable amount.
        Children's lunches for school. Most schools have pizza day, hot dog day etc. This would be considered a reasonable expense.

Occasion child care, this would be a reasonable expense.

Pets, well if you have a family pet, your not expected to do away with it.

Medication, dental and monthly extended benefits - this is a reasonable expense.

Haircuts - personal grooming. enter a reasonable amount for you and the children. Everyone needs haircuts.

Insurance premiums for your yourself is reasonable expense.

Insurance premiums for your belongings and home would be reasonable.

Automobile expenses are reasonable, same with insurance for same.

LV

Comment

Jenny, I have filled out so many Financial Statements, but I was never asked through the process to fill out a proposed budget. Is this something that is verily typical in family law?

You would think, say in a case like Sasha1, that she would received tabled child support first, then spousal support using the guidelines, then live within that budget. And like you say how can your predict future expenses without "guessing".

Comment

I filled out a form that was for the 12 months before the separation and a proposed one for the next 12 months- looks exactly the same as the first one. Not sure if it is not the norm... My ex got the same package from his lawyer with the proposed budget in it as well. Hmmmmm

Comment

re: budgets

Sasha1 -

Having just been in front of a judge (last week) who barely even glanced at the FS, just the incomes of both parties, I have to wonder what they really matter.

In any case, the legal advice give in our situation was to be as honest and complete as possible - in the conference stages, there won't be much discussion about FS or budgets - but if you should have to go to trial, you can question, and may be questioned about each line.

It sounds like you are taking the high road - being honest - and I believe that will serve you well in the end. It did us, even though many days it felt like an uphill battle that we had no chance of ever winning.

We saw 4 FS from the 'other side' and each one was more ridiculous than the one before - and although I say the case management judge barely glanced at the FS, he did notice a glaring omission on the other parties, and questioned them about it. We believe that was part of the reason things really seemed to go our way.

Keep being honest, and don't shortchange yourself or your children. Decent clothing is not a luxury - and if you got snowsuits for $35, you sound to be quite a bargain hunter, I don't see how anyone can find fault with that.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
              Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
              Working...
              X