After first year of support ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After first year of support ..

So now, post trial, I've been paying support (both CS and SS) for the last year, based on my income as stated in my offer letter. I've just received by T4 and I made about $10K less, which means I've overpaid CS by about $160/month.

How does this get adjusted for the upcoming year? Does the over-payment get deducted from this year's support payments?

Salient points:
    - both my ex and I are self represented at this point
    - last year ex made more than the stated for the purposes of calculating support (she claimed she would make $0 but made $500/wk since August)
    - ex has delayed the final order by objecting to the draft order for no apparent reason; conference at court to be held this spring to review
    - because there is no final order FRO is not involved at this point

Most people exchange tax returns every year and adjust CS amounts based on this. My partner exchanges his every June and the new CS take effect in July. So even though you made less, this will be taken into consideration when you adjust CS... you don't deduct it from what you owe, but rather pay the reduced amount for a year.

Example... if in 2012 based on your income, you were to pay $500, you pay that from June 2013-June 2014, then if your 2013 income shows you should be paying $340 a month, you pay that from June 2014-June 2015.

You didn't technically over pay, you paid based on what your income was.

Comment

If you adjust in July based on your previous calendar year's income (from the NOA), then her $500*4.3*5 months of income is JUST below the table threshold for paying any support. This is assuming her income is relevant i.e. that you are using the offset method.

Next year however ...

Comment

Both of you will have to exchange your tax returns and notice of assessments and then make the adjustment to CS.

Comment

Disclosing income taxes, notices of assessments and adjust CS based on them is part of the family law act now. It's not really optional.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForFamily View Post
            Disclosing income taxes, notices of assessments and adjust CS based on them is part of the family law act now. It's not really optional.
            While that may technically be true ... good luck enforcing it

Took my brother over 3 months to get the req'd NOA ... and then his ex outright has refused to adjust.

My brother has had to file a Motion to Change, simply requesting guideline child support based on 2012 NOA ... had first appearance in January and now Case Conference scheduled for April.

By that time, he'll be fighting to obtain her 2013 tax info.

Comment

There's no problem with enforcing it. A judge won't ever order someone to NOT produce the disclosure or adjust the CS. It's a "slam dunk" if you go after it. And usually win costs as well.

Additionally, legal costs for such are even tax deductible.

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForFamily View Post
                There's no problem with enforcing it. A judge won't ever order someone to NOT produce the disclosure or adjust the CS. It's a "slam dunk" if you go after it. And usually win costs as well.

Additionally, legal costs for such are even tax deductible.
                Any "guesstimate" of how far my brother will have to take it? Will it end up at a trial or can a judge issue a Support Deduction Order at a Case Conference?

(I will PM you with more details)

Comment

How do you get someone to disclose tax return and NOA? My divorce order states we exchange every year by May 1st retroactively each year. May 2013 was our 1st "required" exchange. I've been asking numerous times, starting with a friendly reminder shortly before our deadline, for this disclosure via email. He has yet to even acknowledge any of this.

Comment

Lawyers should be proceeding with contempt application and have specific dates/deadline for your ex to purge his contempt. After a certain date they have to pay $$/day that they remain in contempt. Something to discuss with your lawyer.

Comment

I am no longer represented by a lawyer. I sadly gave up with them based on my personal experiences and walked away to focus on paying my existing legal bill and to move forward with the kids.

Every time I questioned my last lawyer (my 4th) he simply told me that they cannot enforce things and strongly told me to not go to trial because of expense and lack of enforceability. This respected family lawyer even took my name off the trial list without my consent claiming we were close enough. Not true... Exact same thing happened with regards to requirements included in the agreement as I told my lawyer... Nothing! "Simple" things continue to be ignored a year following finalizing things... I have walked away from everything but the children.

Comment

If you're paying the lawyer's bill I assume you have no dispute with the services rendered. Unfortunately it sounds as though you have had a string of lawyers you were not satisfied with. I'm not sure I'd be paying a lawyer (in full anyhow) if my instructions were not adhered to.

Many people on this forum have stated that they receive plenty of information, and guidance by simply attending their local courthouse and speaking politely with the clerks. Have you tried doing that?

Comment

Paying for legal services is no longer an option for me (my choice). I just need to make the time to seek advice from the courthouse clerks and/duty counsel.

Comment

Our Divorce Forums
                          Forums dedicated to helping people all across Canada get through the separation and divorce process, with discussions about legal issues, parenting issues, financial issues and more.
                          Working...
                          X